Monday, November 15, 2021

FBR Weekend

I’ve been away from Frail Deeds for more than a couple days but I have a great excuse. I was down in New Jersey again celebrating the birthday of my eldest granddaughter and it was too much fun to even consider the mundane task of writing. You are more than welcome to be spared my shattered prose for these past few days. That vacation is over with my return to the blog ways since I am back entombed in the Man Cave once again.

Birthday Girl with her Mom and Abuela

Bus Stop Friday Morning
We stole a march on the FBR with some pretty comical results Friday morning. She thought we were coming on Saturday for her scheduled party but we took advantage of the recently discovered evening travel times on Thursday night. We made the trip in less than three hours and arrived after the FBR had gone to sleep. My daughter was having trouble getting the FBR to wake up Friday morning and summoned us to help. We walked into the room and I bellowed out, “I hear there’s a birthday girl here somewhere!”. Still half asleep, she stumbled out of bed to give both my wife and I happy hugs. It was a very funny moment. We walked her to the bus stop and returned home so my Favorite Panamanian could continue production of birthday cake and cookies.

FBR and LOL Dolls

She Decorated Grandpa Too

The Fabulous Cookies

The Cake
The FBR wanted an LOL themed party. I learned LOL dolls are the latest craze which I’m still trying to figure out. My wife had created the cookies at home and was determined to hand decorate each one for the Saturday party. I didn’t understand because the cookies were so good and we’re dealing with 6-year-olds so their shelf life was measured in milliseconds after being served. That didn’t mater as she painstakingly painted each cookie with a face. The results were awesome.

The Cake and Cookie Maker

FBR with one of Her Best Buds on Saturday

Party Started
First Friday was a little different being in the presence of one of the other parties and we had to end more quickly than usual as the FBR summoned us to her Friday Movie Night viewing. We watched Clifford the Big Red Dog and competed for popcorn. The FBR has inherited the family trait of popcorn worship. Saturday brought the party and my daughter and Wingman were a little concerned about the weather. Due to Covid they couldn’t hold an indoor party and an outside November birthday party in the Northeast is not for the faint of heart. There was some scheduled weather coming in but it was as if the weather gods realized the FBR was not someone to trifle with. There was a three-hour span of absolutely perfect weather for the party.

The Birthday Girl's Mom

Dance Party Breaks Out

Cake Time
It was so fun watching the FBR and her friends careen around the back yard. I noticed they all shared so many of the phrases I hear all the time from the FBR, “You’ve got to be kidding me!” “You’re not going to believe this!” among many others. The FBR was completely in her element as the star of the show. She and couple other friends started a dance party in the middle of the lawn which a couple smart-alecky friends tried to sabotage by turning off the speaker. Pizza was destroyed along with the aforementioned cookies who’s demise was correctly forecast. The birthday cake received high praise and in a nod to pandemic sensibilities there was no candle to blow out but a sparkler in the form of number six. Bonecrusher made its appearance so the FBR could correctly sunder her cake with the family blade.

Designated Cake Security Officer

Daughter and Wingman
The party ended in the early afternoon and we were then rushing to get everything under cover before the rains came, and boy, did they come. It was a great day though as the FBR had a truly superb birthday party despite the effort of the pandemic and November to thwart her. We spent the rest of the weekend effecting the opening and playing with every single gift she received over the past week. A lot of dolls were involved. Wingman had also bought a cylinder of helium to blow up balloons which I was summarily enlisted in to assist with. We soon had dozens of balloons floating around the house.

Bonecrusher Deployed

Of Course there was a Piñata
Thankfully much of the play time was spent with dolls which I could artfully beg off of. My Favorite Panamanian was not so fortunate but I don’t think she minded, even a little bit. I was dragooned into working on a gem based art project which involved gluing hundreds of really small jewels onto a picture, not fun, except for the time spent with the FBR supervising, sitting in my lap. The most popular activity of the weekend though was probably the least expensive. The FBR re-invented the age-old game of keeping a balloon up in the air, without touching the floor while tapping it to various people sitting around the room. By the end of the weekend all the adults would be seated, dodging balloons and trying to do their part to keep them in the air. She did this throughout the Patriots game which was no match for a determined six-year-old aiming to distract her grandfather. The game was great though as the Pats scored a convincing win over a team that was supposed to be good.

FBR With her Nails Done Up

Grandpa Gluing Gems under a Watchful Eye

That Cake Again
The whole group surprised me with my birthday gift late in the day. The FBR had spent an extra amount of time personally decorating the wrapping paper. They all got together and got me a wireless printer which I’ve coveted ever since I saw the one my daughter uses a few months ago. Of course, I’ll have to wait for them to visit next week to set it up. Its tough not having an in-house IT section but I want to make sure it’s set up right and we all know that isn’t my strong point.

Opening my Birthday Gift
We made another night time run back to Worcester last night and while the traffic was a little heavier I only got held up a short time in New York before what used to be the Tappan Zee Bridge. My old nemesis, Connecticut, hardly put up a fight after that. We got home to find a very quiet house, without a live-in six year old. I can’t wait for Thanksgiving next week where we’ll rectify that shortcoming as well as augment with the rest of the granddaughter phalanx of the BRS and BR3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment