Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Transpo Debacle

As I am still affiliated with the transportation industry, I take the FBR’s experience yesterday on her first day of school personally. After waiting forty-five minutes for a bus that never showed up, her parents drove her to school for her first day of kindergarten. It didn’t get any better in the afternoon as the bus returning her home was over an hour late and then almost drove off without dropping her off. It turns out this was a huge stressor for the parents (and grandparents) but the FBR was very excited about her first day. She got off the bus cheerful and very excited about the day, even the bus ride. I guess it helps that it’s all new.

Family Ready for First Day of Kindergarten

Very Excited

Mom Showing the Way

Along with Wingmom and Harley
Based on her behavior over the past couple weeks whenever I brought up the subject of impending school, I knew the FBR was a little nervous about this major change in her life. She was excited about school which she’s always loved (she’s a born learner) but at the same time had some trepidation about the prospect of a new school, teachers, and friends. Predictably, as all the adults around her told her leading up, she handled it like a champ. I told her she would make a least three new friends. She happily reported last night that she made four!

Harley is Going to Miss he Extra Patting During School Days

FBR Entering her First Day of Official School
Update – the bus didn’t show up at the earlier scheduled time this morning requiring another parent drive to school. I know there is a serious driver shortage, especially in the school bus arena. This is a direct result of the Covid extended unemployment benefits. The federal extension finally ran out a week ago but it takes several weeks to produce a bus driver with background checks, training and licensing. This problem is not going away in the immediate future but the important aspect is that it hasn’t dampened he FBR’s experience or attitude. It’s so good to be young (not that I can remember that far back).

The Conquering Hero Returns from her First Day of School 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment