Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Granddaughter Inflicted Indignities

I was fortunate enough to speak with (or at least at) all three granddaughters last evening. My daughter was walking the FBR through one of her dinner time meltdowns which seem to happen whenever the iPad is removed from her control. I think this bodes ill for continued access to that device surrounding dinner time. The two New Hampshirites were a little more jazzed, Riggins, though, not so much. Riggins went from being the number one attraction in the household to a distant third place behind the BRS and BR3. He’s borne that demotion and countless other indignities inflicted by my granddaughters with stoic benevolence. I can swear though you can see the pain in eyes with each new humiliation. Last night he was sporting a bright blue barrette in his fur, courtesy of the BRS and you could see that look in his eyes. BR3’s hair continues to expand and she was able to get her first ever pony tail or whatever the proper nomenclature is for that bundle of hair on top of her head.

BR3 First Ever Hair Style

Riggins Also Was Styled
The street renovation continues apace today, much to my chagrin when I’m trying to conduct zoom meetings. I think they search the internet for my meeting times and then schedule excavations directly in front of the house to coincide. They opened up two huge holes to emplace the sewer and storm water drain access manholes. It’s created an interesting obstacle course down the street.

Front of House Today
I watched a really good movie last night in Cry Macho. The title is misleading, especially for a movie starring and directed by Clint Eastwood. The titular character is a rooster named Macho who accompanies Clint and his young Mexican charge on a road trip across central Mexico in the late 1970s. It’s an interesting coming of age story for the young Mexican who blessed with two highly dysfunctional parents. Clint’s job is to take the youngster north to Texas to be with his father while his mother sends thugs and the federales after them to prevent it. The move moves right long as you would expect in an Eastwood movie but not without engaging the characters, because this is all about characters. Eastwood is obviously way too old for the part he plays but he makes it work, really well. This may very well be his swan song in front of the cameras and if so, it’s a poignant send off. I’ll imagine him dancing away his remaining days in that obscure cantina with a beautiful senorita.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment