Friday, September 10, 2021

Birthday Girl in Residence

This year we have the rare opportunity to celebrate my mother in law’s birthday in person since she is the current Panamanian in residence. It’s been a fun day already with calls coming in constantly from family in Panama to extend birthday wishes. My wife’s brother and younger sister got into their usual text battle with each other while extending those wishes. It was almost too funny to bear and culminated with my brother-in-law sending out two pictures comparing a caterpillar to his sister’s current hairdo(see below). You have to know how funny these two are together to truly appreciate it but I know my brother in law is lucky to be a couple hundred miles away from his sister after he sent this.

My Gorgeous Lunch Dates Today

The Caterpillar

The Similar Hairdo
I took the two Panamanians out to lunch today to celebrate the birthday. We went to Val’s in Holden for the first time in a very long time and were able to sit outside. During the drive there my mother-in-law commented on our mercurial weather and I related the old New England saying, “If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute”. We received an object lesson in that while we waited for our lunch to arrive. One minute the sun was bright and a couple minutes later it started sprinkling before returning to bright sunshine. I’m glad the table came with an umbrella.

Lunch is Served

The Hat Came in Handy with the Weather
I didn’t think my contempt for our former president could increase, having reached unheard of heights, but it has. I was channel surfing and caught a documentary on New York City gossip columnist Cindi Adams. It turned out she was good friends with the orange haired one and was used as a tool by him in multiple situations, usually when it came to divesting himself of his latest wife. What really caught my attention though was learning about the close relationship between Trump and Roy Cohn. Anyone remotely familiar with 20th century American history knows Cohn as one of the most despicable characters ever to darken our shores. He was one of the driving forces behind the McCarthy Red Scare hearings and had a long history of unethical legal practices. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me that these two were friends and Cohn served as a mentor of the Donald. Birds of a feather.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment