Friday, September 17, 2021

Catch Up and Cloud Sleeping

Since not a lot has been going on over the past couple days, except the FBR still refusing to talk with us, even after being reminded who is the sun source of granddaughter gift buying. She is in real school now and apparently has received an injection of coolness that mitigates against talking with mere grandparents. I know there are some of you out there riveted by my recounting the tale of our street replacement operation and having been sitting on the edge of whatever you’re sitting on to hear the latest developments. I’m sorry to have kept this vital information from you for more than two days.

Curb Sculptor at Work
The bottom line, not much since I last reported. They used their neat little machine to create curbs which I thought was very cool (I know – easily amused). There’s one guy on the team who’s a master sculptor with asphalt. He was the one that had to blend the curb into places the neat machine wouldn’t go. The only other thing that happened was the grading of the area where the sidewalk will eventually go as well as a base layer for that. That was only done on our side of the street which means they still have the other side before I think we’ll see any actual paving. In other words, you haven’t missed much. It’ll be nearly a month since nearly half my driveway disappeared.

Current State
My Favorite Panamanian may seem a little subdued the next time you talk with her. He favorite shopping grounds, the Greendale Mall, is dying under the wrecking ball. It wasn’t so much the mall as much as its resident TJ Maxx (all one word in Panamanian). The family has been hit by a double whammy in terms of local attractions. First, I lost the movie theater that was three minutes from my front door and now my wife has lost her closest TJ Maxx. Luckily we’re both not above traveling to sate our respective addictions. It will be weird to drive down I-190 and not see the distinctive mall just before I-290. An Amazon warehouse is going into that space which should really enhance delivery times if not traffic patterns.

Mall Disappearing
My Favorite Panamanian has been jonesing for one of those high sped memory foam mattresses for years. I’ve always approached the discussion by saying what’s wrong with the current one. I mean it works. She recently discovered a 3” memory foam mattress cover with the added benefit of cooling jell. One of my wife’s persistent (but not only) complaints about yours truly is the amount of sweat I generate overnight. This is problematic for her as I serve as her dedicated heat source during the winter months (maybe this a defense mechanism by my corporeal senses).

Our New Mattress Cover Shortly after Unpacking
Grew another couple inches in Thickness
At any rate, she came home with it yesterday and I grudgingly installed the thing. It was kind of cool (just kidding) as it came compressed into a small ball which quickly expanded once it was unpacked. It then just kept growing. I was a bit of a skeptic until I lay down to sleep last night. It was like sleeping on a proverbial cloud (not that that is even possible but I digress). I felt like I floating all night, at least I think would have if I wasn’t sleeping so soundly. My wife was especially pleased to find my t-shirt completely dry when we awoke this morning. I’m going to have to develop some other weapon to avoid ice cold Panamanian feet thrust beneath my legs just as I doze off this winter. Based on this first night we’re going to buy another one to take down to our Panamanian condo. I should, at this point, thank my daughter who first exposed us to this technology. Now, on to celebrate the First Friday of the Week.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment