Wednesday, September 29, 2021

B-Day Journey

This is the week of granddaughters when I get to hug all three of them inside of three days, not together, but close enough. The big event, however, and, I hasten to add, big enough to motivate me to submerge myself once again in Connecticut travel, was the birthday of my first born. We loaded up the car and departed yesterday morning. We left only thirty minutes later than I hoped which is not bad considering I had two Panamanian ladies to get into the car. Connecticut was every bit as tiresome as it usually is and this time they added in sporadic but no less spectacular thunderstorms to assist in traffic congestion.

Birthday Dinner Last Night
We still made fairly good time and arrived at my Favorite Daughter’s New Jersey home in mid-afternoon in plenty of time for my two business zoom meetings. Then it was off to pick up the FBR from her kindergarten. She spotted us from across the parking lot and broke into a dead run to deliver one of her patented FBR hugs. We then convoyed over to Wingman’s restaurant to have a birthday celebration dinner. The FBR is well known at this establishment which was obvious as people, up to and including the owner, came by to pay homage.

Birthday Girl with her Mom and Grandmom

And Wingmom

FBR Hugs

With her Bisabuela
We sat in the tent outside, erected for pandemic restrictions but which still offered a great place to enjoy the diner and especially the company. The owner sent over a collection of appetizers on the house. Wingman has surreptitiously delivered an ice cream cake earlier in the day. My daughter loves these and was a little disillusioned when she received an earlier report that none were available. It was a sweet surprise and added a fitting ending to our great time out celebrating this very special lady.

Wingman's End of Table

4 Generations

Surprise Ice Cream Cake
A return to the house brought the gift opening phase of the celebration where the FBR selflessly offered to help her mother open her gifts. She then pointedly looked at her grandparents, knowing we never arrive without something in tow for her. She zoomed through the clothes, barely glancing at them until she got to the toys which my Favorite Panamanian had unsuccessfully tried hiding under the coffee table in order to get a reaction to the clothes. The FBR sniffed them out however and kept glancing under the table as yet another outfit came out of the clothes gift bag. My wife eventually admitted defeat and the FBR was soon cavorting with a paw patrol figure in a big green robotic suit.

Back Home to Open Gifts

With FBR Assistance
It was also a day to reflect back on that day several decades ago that my daughter arrived on the scene. I consider it the longest day of my life but I’m sure it pales in comparison to my wife’s day as she as the one enduring twenty hours of labor before our daughter appeared. I marvel at the vibrant woman and mother that little being has grown into. As is the case with my son, I could not possibly be more proud of her. For those of you who accuse me being a Cro-Magnon (you know who you are) I will have you know I raised an ardent feminist who I love to the depths of whatever heart I do possess, Happy Birthday Heart!

Meanwhile Back Home The latest Development out Front
They Cut up the Newly Installed curb to raise the storm drain backing
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment