Monday, September 27, 2021

Newly Christened

I know I usually use that phrase for the newest pub that I’ve discovered including subsequent activities however this past weekend saw an actual christening. BR3 finally made it to the church for her pandemic delayed baptism. My Favorite Son and the ABFA delayed the baptism until my mother-in-law could attend because she along with her daughter, my Favorite Panamanian are extremely catholic. We drove up on Saturday for the Sunday ceremony and spent a fun afternoon in downtown Portsmouth which my mother-in-law remembered from her last visit. I took one for the team and waited out the spousal shopping in a subterranean bar that boasted great pizza.

Post Dunking Group Shot
We eventually made our way to my son’s home where the granddaughters were subjected to the usual round of abuela hugs and tickle games. BR3 had given her parents another nearly sleepless night as she enters another one of those phases where she feels the need to frolic at 2am. Both parents needed a night out to themselves and we took over child watch while they had a great dinner out. That is until about 10pm when Riggins decided to go into full meltdown mode which was eerily reminiscent of Buddy the Wonder Pooch during any fireworks/thunder storm event. We eventually figured out one of the upstairs smoke alarms was mildly beeping but Riggins wouldn’t calm down until his parents returned from dinner.

Buddies

Great Grandma with BR3

Abuela Greeting BR3

Let the Tickling Commence

Son & ABFA Heading out for Dinner Date

BR3 Assessing if we are Ready to be Babysitters
Sunday morning was the usual rush to keep the granddaughters supplied with hojaldras. BR3 once again confirmed her role as the family food intake champ. Maybe she was gathering strength for her upcoming dunking but she’s imposed a food tax on anyone with the temerity to consume food in her presence. She joined me for my usual bacon and eggs breakfast and I was hard pressed to get my half of the meal. She is very insistent and possesses a bottomless stomach.

Let's See if Grandpa Can Handle Both of Us

BR3 Explaining Food Tax to Grandpa

That Will be Mine Grandpa

Dad's Awake!!

With BR3 Outside Church
It was a beautiful fall day in Exeter for the ceremony with an ABFA cousin and my son’s best friend serving as godparents. Covid restrictions meant just the grandparents and godparents were present which made for a very empty church. BR3 is old enough to know she was not going to tolerate the traditional white bonnet but we were able to get a few guerrilla photos of her before she angrily removed it from her head. She was also a little ticked off about the whole application of water to her head part. She is nothing if not opinionated. She handled the rest like a champ although she reacted pretty strongly when placed between the BRS and a young cousin – I‘m guessing it was a problem with sharing the spotlight.

With Dad in Church

Split Second She was Wearing Bonnet

Parents and Godparents

First the Oil

Then the Water



Mom and Dad, What the Heck was That!
This was the same church the BRS was christened I and I reflected back on that day when the FBR as about the same age as the BRS is now and was equally determined to not remain quiet for the ceremony. The BRS was interested in getting up to see what all the fuss was about and took an active role in the symbolic tour of the church altar. The Catholics amongst us cringed a little bit when she decided to run under the main altar but no thunderbolts were dispensed as we all breathed a sigh of relief.

What's Going on with my Sister?


This Candle is Interesting

With Godparents

Tour of Church

BRS, About to Dodge under and through the Altar
We gathered back at their home for a post ceremony get together that was a lot of fun, even if beer was not involved. The newly baptized BR3 continued her food acquisition determination wandering up to anyone who seemed to be eating to impose her tax. The FBR was in seventh heaven to have both sets of grandparents to order around which meant extended playground time, especially if the ABFA’s dad was available. Just a great afternoon surrounded by excellent people. It took some of the sting from how badly the Patriots were playing.

Post Baptismal Group Shots






I am the Star of this Show!

Get me Out of Here Mom

Gliding Away

Cousins
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment