Monday, August 30, 2021

Weekend Wonders

As is usually the case, time spent with granddaughters severely impacted my ability and/or desire to write on Frail Deeds. You tortured readers may thank both the BRS and BR3, as well as my Favorite Son for the delightful distraction that kept me from continuing to abuse the English language here. That wait is sadly over now as I am returned to confinement in the Man Cave following a delightful three day weekend in New Hampshire. The ABFA was called for a lady’s weekend in the Hamptons of New York so we were summoned to provide assistance during her absence.

Favorite Son with his Two Ladies
My son took Friday off from work so he and I could continue construction on the theater and Man Cave he is creating in his basement. The granddaughters were very happy to see us and I don’t think it was solely for the breakfast hojaldras they knew our visit meant. BR3 is no longer just walking, she runs, everywhere. She and Riggins are forming a very strong bond and she cannot walk past him without stopping for a hug. Riggins bears the attention with the stoic grace he has with both girls but I think he senses BR3 will be a special buddy.

BRS and Her Abuela 



BR3 On the Move, As Usual
We could only work on Friday while the girls were at Day Care because the sound of the nail gun freaks out BR3. While my son was delivering the girls to that location I spent the very hottest part of our time there lugging all the remaining timber down into the basement. This was not a lot of fun but sufficed for the workout I had to forego for the trip. I felt a little sneaky pride that I can still do this type of physical work despite the number of years appearing on my scorecard. My son and I tackled a couple of the toughest challenges in the construction, framing the doorway into the home theater and the connection between the theater and the Man Cave.

Hojaldra Breakfast Son Saddled with Noted Food Thief BR3

BRS Wearing the Brownie Batter

BR3 Goofing with Abuela

Son Getting his Nails Painted
Our measurements attempted the preciseness required but we still had to back off a couple times when the space seemed to have shrunk since we measured and then cut. I was used for my usual role of brute force and ignorance while my Favorite Son provided the much needed engineering skills. Amazon was late with a delivery of ammo for the nail gun but we were able to wrestle the last section of wall frame into place just as the nails ran out.

Completed Connection to Cave

Doorway into Theater
The rest of the weekend was spent in child care 101 as the BRS and BR3 continued to delight and confound as only a 1 and 3 year old can do. The BRS strengthened her bond with her abuela throughout the weekend, although she also chose her father for fingernail panting along with her abuela. My son faced this fate with the tragic resignation only a father of two girls could muster.

BR3 Breakfast Time

Mugging for Camera

I faced my own challenges. My Favorite Panamanian thought it would be a good idea to take the ladies out for a walk around the neighborhood. It wasn’t until I arrived in the garage that I learned that she would be pushing BR3 in a her stroller while I was charged with riding herd on the BRS in her Barbie electric car. While I understand that sounds fairly simple, I’m here to tell you it was anything but. The BRS is a lot more confident than when she first acquired the vehicle but that brought with it some real danger for anyone charged with monitoring her, namely me as well as anyone in her path. She had only one speed, as fast as it would go. Woe be unto anyone in that aforementioned path, namely my Favorite Panamanian and BR3. I quickly learned I could alter her chosen path of destruction by grabbing the roll bar. The only problem with that was that I had to be beside her to do that. Did I tell you how fast she as going?

Trying to Catch up to BRS

Trying Not to Get Run Over
I’m sure we made a comical couple, okay, that was mostly me, as I charged in my sandals after my speedy granddaughter in her pink car careening around the neighborhood. I think this was even a better workout than moving the lumber pile. The BRs as oblivious to my pell-mell pursuit and assumed I would be in position to keep her, and anyone unfortunate enough to find themselves in her sights, out of danger. I will admit to a modicum of pride as I watched her speed around the neighborhood streets. I definitely needed a break when it was over.

Riggins with his New Best Buddie
BR3 seems to have adopted me as her favorite pet, much to the consternation of my Favorite Panamanian who sees a repeat of the history I have with the FBR. Throughout the weekend BR3 would only reach out for either her father or me, even when my wife had food which usually serves as coin of the realm for BR3. We weren’t the only ones bonding though. Riggins invariably chose to locate himself next to my mother-in-law. Wherever she sat Riggins was soon wrapped around her feet. This was appreciated as she is still adjusting to the cooler temps she faces here instead of Panama and Riggins is nothing if not a reliable source of heat. I think Riggins just treasured finally having a lady in the house who seemed satisfied to just sit and relax, his favorite pastime

Infectious Laughter Abounded

BRS with a Good Morning Smile
As usual, one of the brightest parts of the our visit was the quiet time after all the ladies had retired for the night when I got to hang out with my Favorite Son either watching baseball or a movie together. We’ve already planned a full day movie watch when his home theater is complete. Sunday morning found he and I, along with his daughters, at one of the town’s playgrounds. The BRS is quite the daredevil/climber. It was good to have two adults monitoring these two ladies as they attacked each challenge with a will that far exceeded their physical strength. These are going to be two formidable ladies. We just beat some heavy rain that came in for the middle part of the day but the BRS would not forget she was promised some post nap ice cream. We had a two vehicle convoy to the ice cream parlor due to child car seat requirements. The rain stopped long enough to enjoy our delicacies and BR3 proved to be an excellent thief, commandeering healthy portions of both my and her father’s ice cream. The BRS had some cotton candy flavored ice cream that had her bouncing off the walls upon our return.

Playground Action




I got to drive my son’s new car a couple times over the weekend and I can understand his excitement about his new ride. It even had a heads-up display on the windshield, just like fighter pilot. I mention this because when we got back from the ice cream foray he found the BRS had used her sand laden shoes to mark her territory on the back on his car seat. This was not a good moment. They both soon recovered from their consternation as the cotton candy ice cream effect kicked in. We were packed up to leave as the BRS ran literal circles around the house clad only in her underwear. While we made a lot better time on the trip home than the drive up, time seemed to drag unconscionably. An unavoidable reaction to leaving the company of my son and his family.

Ice Cream Ladies

BR3 on the Hunt for Dad's Ice Cream



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment