Thursday, August 26, 2021

Once More into the Breach

I made my second trip inside a week to Terminal E of Logan International Airport on as our resident PanaGal returned home after her stay with us. I figured there was no chance I would achieve the same level of success, i.e., no traffic than I did during my trip to pick up my mother-in-law. Once I got on the Pike, my calculations looked pristine as traffic slowed to a virtual halt as soon as I passed into Framingham. I confidently explained to my passenger that this was why we left with an extra half hour to spare and that this would be the easy part since driving into Boston at the height of the rush hour was not for the meek of heart. As soon as we passed I-95 I confidently stated we would be in a parking lot. My assurances looked mighty hollow when we passed I-95 and pulled into the airport a mere fifteen minutes later. There was no traffic whatsoever, in Boston, during the morning rush hour, it was almost spooky, but I’m not complaining.

So, the odds at home are a little closer now as I have only two Panamanian women in residence versus the prior three. Still, two is more than enough to lace my life with an appropriate amount of tropical spice, hell, one is more than adequate, if it is my Favorite Panamanian. I’ve spent the past couple days retiring all the objects that were secured prior to our “hurricane” back to their normal spots. I also scaled a really tall ladder to address some green spots near the peak of the house caused by this year’s excessive moisture with the power washer. The heat has been truly tropical since the storm which made all these activities even more enjoyable. Luckily the Man Cave has been available to wait for the sweating to die down. We had a funny moment with my mother-in-law yesterday. She opened the door to the granddaughter’s bedroom which set off all the carbon dioxide alarms throughout the house. Apparently, the room had been closed since the FBR’s departure more than a month ago and had cooked without any AC on. There was a detector right outside the room and when she opened the door it went off and the rest of the house alarms are linked to it. Needless to say, this was a startling experience for my elderly mother-in-law.

I’ve completed my serial watch of the entire Sopranos series. It was a great return to these indelible characters but I definitely have changed my opinions in several regards. I had some sneaky admiration for Tony, a true antihero, and other people in the show when I watched as it first aired. These people were monsters, unworthy of even a speak of admiration which made the journey with them over the past few weeks even more searing. I also benefited greatly with the book my daughter lent me which allowed an episode-by-episode discussion of what was going on.

I knocked out a couple movies this week. I was really disappointed with Reminiscence. This was a plot in search of a meaning despite an interesting theme and some fantastic actors. This is the type of fare where I leave the movie thinking some filmmaker tried to be a little too clever. Hugh Jackman portrays a world-weary veteran in a futuristic Miami that is now flooded due to global warming. He operates a service that allows customers to relive memories in startling detail. He meets Rebecca Ferguson and falls in love, because, well, who wouldn’t. Again, sounds like a great premise but someone really dropped here ball because it took real effort to remain engaged as a viewer. There are the inevitable plot twists but everything seemed too convenient and depending too much on Deus Ex Machina to resolve. A real disappointment given the actors involved.

I really enjoyed the Protégé featuring Samuel L. Jackson as a world class assassin and Maggie Q as his devoted apprentice/partner. This is Q’s movie and she’s more than capable of carrying the action. She is trying to find the people responsible for a personal tragedy and woe be unto those who stand in her way. There is a very interesting dynamic with Michael Keaton as an admiring adversary. The action is well executed and the characters fully fleshed out. I was happy to see Q get a chance to really star in her own movie versus her usual supporting role. She was more than up to the task. A great summer action flick, go see it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment