Monday, August 16, 2021

Sobering Fall

President Biden’s foreign policy stature took a major hit over the weekend as Afghanistan fell to the Taliban. I know everyone is rushing to play the blame game but this had a ring of inevitability to it ever since the prior president signed a peace deal with them. It’s hard to argue that we should have stayed longer and spent the billions needed to maintain a presence that is clearly not supported by the residents. The Talban would not have achieved their successes without major support from the population along with the absolute corruption of the government. We gave them twenty years to get themselves sorted out and they failed.

The upside is we’re finally out of that hell hole and the situation is very different than it was twenty years ago. Even the medieval thinkers within the Taliban have to realize it would be the height of folly to embark on another terrorist haven. If they do, well it makes for a target rich environment. We have greatly enhanced our ability to reach out and touch malefactors than  in 2001 and we certainly know the lay of the land a lot better. Granted we paid for that knowledge with too much blood, but there it is. It sounds like the US military has seized control of the airport with additional troops and we can hope they impose some order to evacuate those who need to get out. A sad day, but inevitable given that this is Afghanistan.

Son's New Car
The return home continues to challenge my spirits as I became too used to having granddaughters around over the past few weeks. Both my son and daughter have been trying to fill that gap with FaceTime calls. My son had a very good weekend where he bought a brand new car. We’ll have to schedule this car for the traditional backing into it by one of his parents (inside family “joke”). While that’s something that’s happened to the last two cars he’s owned, we’re hoping to miss it this time out. I know he’ll still be nervous parking it anywhere near our driveway.

FBR's First Sewing Project
The FBR remained busy in our absence. She was very excited yesterday for a trip to Barnes and Noble with her mom. I told her that used to be my favorite place to go as well, before bookstores were replaced by electronic tablets. She proudly displayed the results of her shopping foray in a later call. They bought a beginner’s sewing kit and the FBR had already completed the first project. My daughter admitted that she didn’t notice the age recommendation on the kit was 10 years and up, but the FBR handled it in her usual precocious fashion. I continued my serial watch of the Sopranos series last night. My daughter let me borrow The Soprano Sessions to take home with me. It is a fascinating look at the series with an episode-by-episode analysis. I was already into season four by the time I got the book and last night I finally caught the book up to where I’m at with the watch. I highly recommend this book to anyone, and I now there’s a few of you out there, who loved the Sopranos series.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment