Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Submerged Serially

Our week-long sojourn in New Jersey continues with the attendant joy of being around the FBR and my Favorite Daughter. I would include Wingman in that assemblage but he flew the coop (literally) yesterday, winging his way to Missouri to begin the move of his mom to live with them in New Jersey. We’re grateful for that and not only because it means his mom will now become a fixture at our family events, long overdue that. We’re thankful because that was the driving reason we were needed here for child care duties while my daughter continues to work.

Smiling After Surviving my Submersion
I’m starting the get the hang of navigating around the crowded neighborhoods of northern New Jersey. On the way back from the airport dropping off Wingman yesterday, I was able to arrive at a desired grocery store after recognizing some landmarks on the way home. I’ve been serial watching The Sopranos over the last couple weeks and it is kind of strange to do so in the actual setting of the series, the suburbs surrounding Newark. I’ve been on the look out for wise guys and have yet to find the Bada Bing (purely for intellectual curiosity reasons, I assure you).

Obligatory Popsicle at Day Camp Pickup

Eating her First Ever Rib Right off the Bone
A Natural
The greatest joy has been the time with the FBR who continues to shine in new, unexpected ways. She is quite the conversationalist, as long as a computer or television screen is not ignited nearby. Yesterday we built a castle out of wooden blocks that reminded me of doing the same thing at my Aunt Margret’s house at Thanksgiving over six decades ago (God, I’m old). The FBR is a certified assassin when it comes to the pool. She finds her greatest joy in seeing how long I can remain completely underwater. I was charged with giving her serial submarine rides yesterday. The recent pool workouts came in handy.

I'm the One on the Bottom


I forgot my kindle at home but I was lucky enough to land in a house that probably rivals the local library for the amount of books in residence. I don’t know where my daughter acquired this love of reading, but I digress. She loaned me a copy of When We Cease to Understand the World, a fascinating fictional look at the lives of some of the giants in the field of physics. I know that sounds kind of dry but I’ve loved the read, finishing it in just one day and highly recommend it. My daughter’s and my other shared love is the cinema and we watched a movie last night together that was a lot of fun.

Pig is not for everyone  as it boasts very little action and is more an exploration of the human psyche. Nicholas Cage makes way too many movies, many unwatchable, but every now and then he lands a role like this and you’re reminded what a true talent he is. He plays an Oregonian hermit scouring the woods with his pet pig for truffles which he uses to finance his lifestyle. The movie cleverly reveals nothing about the character initially and Cage is only allowed a few grunts in the first third of the movie. The pig is stolen and he sets out on a quest to find him in Portland. When I saw the previews for this, I imagined the wild eyed Cage of so many of his movies descending on Portland in John Wickian style to exact his revenge. There is none of that but there is a subtle, very pleasing revelation along the way as his character is fleshed out and we figure out how he ended up in the woods. Cage’s character is every bit as effective with his words as Wick is with a submachine gun in several encounters. As you watch this you are inevitably drawn to the people involved and understand the masks many people choose to wear to deal with the world. Again, this movie is not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment