Monday, August 23, 2021

Forecast Fail

I’m still waiting for the arrival of Hurricane Henri because what we went through yesterday didn’t qualify as a significant rain storm, much less a full-fledged hurricane. It was a popcorn fart of a tempest. I guess it did have some impact along the shore but we didn’t even get minor winds, much less the forecast gales. I was a little pissed at all the time I spent moving flower pots and other Deckzilla accoutrement to save it from the absent winds. I don’t know how the forecasters could get it this wrong, but here were no apologies this morning as they focused on the small damage along the coast. I had warned the resident Panamanians that we had this massive storm bearing down upon us only to look like Chicken Little at his most hyperbolic.

The Fun Group Last Night
My disappointment at the lack of low pressure was more than rescued with a sudden invite form the Neighborhood Mafioso to join them for dinner. It turned out to be one of the most enjoyable nights I’ve had in recent memory. I can’t remember laughing as much in one sitting as the conversation veered through a wide variety of subjects ranging from the Beatles to 1960s television shows and 1960s music. I made a couple of huge faux pas, claiming George Harrison wrote Knock, Knock, Knocking on Heaven’s Door, confusing it with My Sweet Lord. This was especially grievous since I was a huge fan of Bob Dylan. I rescued my wounded pride by leading a rendition of Lay Lady Lay.  

Late Arriving Photo from Saturday
My second social blunder involved my use of Spanish profanity. One of the fellow guests is a well-known jokester and was famous within the group for discovering a Spanish wine named after posteriors. With the intake of beer, my confidence in Spanish soars, sometimes beyond the bounds of common sense and I used the wrong word to describe the wine. Unfortunately there was only one other person in the group who didn’t understand Spanish. My mother-in-law seemed especially shocked to hear my description. I entered into a beer laden conspiracy with the husband of the Neighborhood Mafioso. My Favorite Panamanian keeps a close eye on my beer consumption during our visits there and my host decided we needed to smuggle a couple extra by the intense scrutiny. It turned into a fun game with the other guests watching amusedly as empties were surreptitiously replaced with full ones. I don’t think my wife was fooled that much but it was fun game while it lasted. The same could be said spending time with these more than excellent people.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment