Friday, July 5, 2019

Threefer

The Patriotic BRS

Mid-week holidays are weird. I don’t know how many times I had to remind myself that yesterday was Thursday and not Saturday. I’m not complaining because any day I get to hang out with friends and drink beer is worth whatever time-space continuum issues involved. I did think back on the departed Wonder Pooch and knew he would have been in sheer panic all night as the fireworks went off continuously. Earlier in the day my Favorite Panamanian and I wandered far afield to associate with outstanding people.
Wife and one of the Czechs
We started out back near our old haunts in Charlton with the annual Independence Day party of a member of the Latin Mafia. We’d been there just a few weeks ago for a graduation party but this one was more low key and with decidedly less teenagers. My wife and I ended up talking for a long time to very nice couple from the Czech Republic. They’ve lived in the States for nearly two decades and it was interesting comparing their experience with our own raising kids caught between two cultures. I consider it a treasure when you meet new people who already seem like friends.
The Second Party
We stayed longer than expected because we were having such a good time but eventually hit the road back to Worcester for a Panamanian Mafia party much closer to our home. My wife gave strict orders that I was not to attempt to walk home as I did last year from the same party. Funny how wives never seem to forget. Anything. It turned out to be another low key but exceedingly enjoyable time hanging out with good friends. I even behaved myself by not trying to sneak away. We left for home around 8pm and I thought we were done for the day.
After Three Years of Intense Effort

The FBR and Pee Wee Are Becoming Friends

Wingman Reports Treats Were Involved

The Two Friends Yesterday
We were pulling into the garage when my wife told me she promised the Neighborhood Mafioso we would stop by her house upon our return. She’d had to work yesterday and we ended up on their back patio drinking yet more beer and enjoying their company. The sun set as we were out there and various fireworks displays started up viewable from our hilltop location. We walked home after a very entertaining time with these good friends as more and more fireworks went off around us leading to those thoughts of Buddy who would have been trying to burrow through the concrete under the cellar stairs if he had still been with us.

Sprinkler Domination by the BRS



So a very, very good day that reminded me how lucky I am with the collection of friends we’ve acquired in this area It firms up the decision to remain here. I’m going to be decidedly less socially active this weekend as I enter the prep phase for Monday’s colonoscopy. I can’t believe it’s been ten years already and wish it was still ten years away but just another lesson in why getting old, at times, sucks.
FBR Filling her Own Pool
The granddaughters were in fine form yesterday. We talked with the BRS briefly during our stay at the first party. She had instructed my Favorite Son to assemble a driveway wading pool and she was already to jump in when we caught up with them. This follows her successful domination of the Day Care sprinkler earlier in the week. It looked like all involved, including my son and the ABFA were having a very good time. The FBR was way too busy to stop and talk with us but I got a very nice surprise over breakfast this morning when she called in. My daughter reported that the FBR had a fantastic time in the neighborhood 4th of July party and that pictures would follow. When the FBR heard that my Favorite Panamanian was still asleep she demanded to see her abuela. We snuck up stairs but the FBR plan to surprise her sleeping abuela was thwarted when we discovered her wide awake. It was a very good way to start off a day challenged by a little too much celebration of our good fortune to live in this country on its birthday.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment