Tuesday, July 16, 2019

“Leis”-ed at Work


I knew having a very energetic three year old running around this week would be interesting but I never envisioned having to go to work wearing a bright pink, plastic, Hawaiian leis. That was the price I paid for going home for lunch with the FBR. She’d found the old leis in one of her many toy caches and decided it was just the look I needed to complement by shirt and tie. My usual fashion consultant, the Favorite Panamanian, was no help since, as is my case,  she’s unable to deny the FBR anything. So I donned the leis and returned to work which brought a couple of interested comments until I explained the FBR was back in town and they nodded sagely and moved on.
My Monday Afternoon Office Attire
The union business agent came in to fight about a couple things and was perplexed by my new look. I explained about the FBR and he said that there was no way she would know if I took it off. I simply said I made a promise and one should always keep promises to granddaughters. So in the end it served a business purpose. I wore the leis with not an inconsiderable amount of pride.
Swing Time at Elm Park

She did allow me to take it off after work when we set out for time at a playground. I’d never been to Elm Park in central Worcester. It’s one of the oldest municipal parks in the country and was recently completely refurbished. The FBR immediately took to dominating the playground although I was required to assist at the swings providing pushes while she gazed upon and assessed her domain. The BRS called in via video during the time and squawked with delight to see her cousin swinging away. The FBR also hung from a mini-zip line that I was required to run along beside her. Sometimes being a grandfather can be physically challenging.
The FBR Donned a Pair of My Wife's High Heel Shoes

Declared that They Fit Perfectly

And that they Now Belonged to Her
Finally a not so coded message to what I hope is that dedicated reader in Thailand. If you are who I think you are (best man at my wedding) -  a fellow graduate of Lambert’s School for Lieutenants is trying to make contact with you, give him a yell or better yet let us both know how you’re doing. Can’t wait to hear from you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment