Monday, July 15, 2019

Familial Immersion

Cousins from both Sides of Godmother's Family
The gathering of family that began last Thursday with the arrival of my mother in law from Panama certainly picked up steam over the weekend. First things first though as we properly introduced my mother in law to the mysteries of celebrating the First Friday of the Week. She was properly reverential at the ceremony but that was probably the sangria kicking in. We continued the festivities back on Deckzilla with the neighborhood mafiosos so my mother in law got a true flavor of an appropriately honored Friday afternoon.
Wife and her Mom at First Friday
Saturday was a whirlwind. The FBR was enroute to our house for a weeklong stay. Wingman was dropping her off but he arrived after I’d already departed for New Hampshire with Great Aunt and Soxfather. We were heading north for the long delayed funeral service for my godmother. She was the last of the simply awesome collection of aunts and uncles from my father’s family I was blessed to grow up around. The ceremony was in the wilds of Sullivan, New Hampshire in a two hundred year old church.
Cousins at Graveside
There was a great turnout from the community which spoke volumes about my aunt. I ran into one of my cousins as we were parking but didn’t recognize anybody until I went in search of a bathroom prior to the ceremony (age, dontcha know). I rounded a corner and ran into literally a pack of fellow cousins from my father’s side of the family. I’m usually not fortunate enough to see most of them until the annual Thanksgiving Day celebration, another legacy from those aunts and uncles. There is something special about cousins and those couple hours spent with these most excellent of people left me buoyant.
FBR & Wingman with Arrival Presents
Since we had to pass through my hometown on our way back from the funeral I reached out to both Keene Friend and Cantankerous Friend who met us for an early dinner at Margarita’s. We sat outside on the sidewalk terrace and watched Keene walk by for a couple hours while catching up and dealing with the usual Cantankerous barbs. A few beers may or may not have been involved. I returned home to a silent house which was surprising given the personalities supposedly resident.
FBR Trying on Abuela's Jewelry
Dominating
The living room was strewn with the evidence the FBR had in fact arrived and enjoyed the gifts she always seems to acquire when she comes for a visit. Wingman had dropped her off and headed down to Connecticut to link up with some friends while my Favorite Panamanian and her mother set out for a party west of Worcester. I wrote about meeting a nice couple from the Czech Republic last weekend and they invited us to a party at their house Saturday. My NH trip precluded my attendance but of course my other half wasn’t going to miss a party.
FBR Charming the Czechs

Grandpa Reading Session

I was commiserating with myself when I got a call from the Neighborhood Mafioso who wanted to invite my wife and mother in law over for drinks. I was also thrown in as an add-on so I walked across the street to take them up on the offer. That is where my wife and the FBR found me a couple hours later, which did nothing to dim the greeting I received from the FBR. I was dragooned into reading bedtime stories for the FBR which put a very appropriate cherry on top of what had been a busy but oh so satisfying day.
Hojaldras - She Ate the Entire Plate
Sugar Stache
Sunday found the FBR completely ignoring her regular wakeup time and insisting on some early morning snuggles in the grandparents’ room. She wanted to make sure we knew she expected her abuela’s hojaldras for breakfast and that we knew all about the Frozen themed watch the daughter of the Czech couple had given her. A great wakeup to say the least. After hojaldras and sartorial negotiations we survived church service with only minimal disruption.
Sunday Morning Snuggles

Grocery shopping was the adventure I expected with the FBR having some very definite ideas on what we should be purchasing for her. By the time her afternoon nap rolled around she wasn’t the only who needed it. I took advantage of the down time to do some reading while the females in the house all descended into much needed sleep. The FBR arose fully recharged and ready for some pool time on Deckzilla.
The Slide

And Deckzilla Pool
We also had purchased a slip ‘n slide which she was excited to try out. That was until I had it all set up on the front lawn. She then contented herself with running through the spraying water like a sprinkler. I took it upon myself to instruct her in the proper etiquette but the mid-sixties is a not a good age to try and recapture technique for sliding down a plastic runway. I got a good approach but landed with a thud and slid approximately three inches. The FBR was not impressed and fortunately my wife was laughing too hard to capture this in a photo. My dignity wasn’t the only thing bruised. The FBR eventually took up sliding if my wife and I would hold her hand and drag her down the chute. So I did get some exercise.
Wingman Appears!!!
“She” eventually tired and returned to the Deckzilla pool and Wingman surprised her a short time later by driving up. He had returned to Worcester to see an outdoor concert arranged by one of his old tour managers who was also a good friend. The FBR was pleased with seeing her dad and they immediately explored the new Frozen watch together. Since Wingman had to drive back to New Jersey the stopover was short but very welcome since I hadn’t seen him Saturday during the drop-off.
BRS, FBR and ABFA


Son with ABFA's Parents
That would have made for a totally enjoyable day but the fun was literally just starting. As Wingman was heading south my Favorite Son, the ABFA, the BRS, and the ABFA’s parents were head north form their weekend in the Hamptons (No, I won’t stop saying that). They wondered if it would be okay to stop by and say hi when they passed through Worcester. This will go down in recorded history as one of the silliest questions ever posed. We fired up the grill to throw some steaks when they arrived. My son reported a Jane Seymour siting at a winery in the Hamptons. He looked appropriately embarrassed when I lauded the charms of that favorite actress of yore.
BRS Laughing with the FBR


A Very Happy Abuela
The BRS and the FBR continued being totally intrigued by each other. See above comments concerning cousins. It was an all too short visit but the prefect way to wind down from the weekend. The BRS and FBR ate side by side and continually eyed each other. The ABFA reported that one of the first words the BRS can say clearly is the name of the FBR. My Favorite Panamanian continued to amaze in the hostess department. She had a scant hour to prepare and a very active three year old running around but she still managed to put up a fabulous dinner for the weary travelers. The BRS was her usual charming self but didn’t quite know what to make of her great grandmother. She welcomed every other adult but my wife’s mother was definitely on BRS probationary status until she could prove herself.
BRS Not Too Sure about her Bis-Abuela

Son Trying to Smooth Things Over
This was the kind of weekend you work all your life and hopefully are rewarded with the kind of family I’ve been blessed with. Including the family I grew up with, my father’s family, my friends/neighbors and the fabulous “kids” God threw my way. Then of course we have the granddaughters, I cannot even begin to count the blessings present whenever I get to spend time with both the BRS and the FBR – words fail.
My Favorite Panamanian at her Happiest!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment