Thursday, July 18, 2019

Energy Crisis

A Rare Peaceful FBR Moment

Each time the FBR comes to visit my wife and I agree that raising children is rightfully the bailiwick of people decidedly younger than ourselves. We revel in the time we get to spend with her but it is draining, even just sitting around watching her as she scrambles around in the non-stop mode that his her default operational status. I think the draining aspect is not being able to relax due to the vigilant oversight she engenders. It’s a delightful weariness though that I wouldn’t trade for any amount of money. Each day there is some special offhand comment or activity that further cements her hold on my heart.
Swing Duty




Last night was an acid test as she woke up around 2:30am for some undeclared reason and was wide awake. I know this because she decided a tactile inspection of my beard was required every time I dozed off. Still, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. We tried out a different playground the other day which again met her specifications although my right arm is starting to get tired from swing pushing.
Pool Time Yesterday


My wife took her to one of the Latin Mafia’s homes yesterday so she could jump into the pool on a sweltering day. It’s obvious the FBR has made progress since earlier this year in Panama and looks ready to start active dog paddling. In the same vein a neighbor’s canine wandered into the yard and the FBR was captivated. I know her parents are firmly cat people but it’s also obvious the FBR inherited some of my dog loving genes.
Dog Lover

After the pool they returned home just ahead of some healthy thunderstorms. We had a real treat last evening as my favorite cousin and his wife had been playing golf nearby and stopped by for dinner. In what will go down as a landmark event, neither my cousin nor I had a beer when we got together. This has rarely happened since we both turned eighteen oh so many years ago. The same thing occurred this past weekend when we saw each other in New Hampshire but we were at a funeral at the time so, excused. To my credit I was ready with some beer and a determination to break my usual school night alcohol prohibition but the cous is facing a medical exam that precluded beer consumption, once again I have to declare, getting old can suck at times. His wife mitigated our penance by cheerfully imbibing wine.
Great Dinner with Cousin Yesterday
It was so great hanging out with them. They are both retired now and have embraced the new phase of their life. My cousin has taken up the game of golf with a vengeance and, always a good athlete, is steadily improving. They were full of news about their family and the great circle of close friends from their hometown that we’ve been lucky enough to hang out with at times.
Cousins on Line
One of the funniest times of the FBR visit is the nightly call with the BRS. As soon as the FBR hears her cousin on line she charges from whatever mischief she’s been contemplating to seize control of the IPad. The BRS seems equally pleased to see her cousin on the other end and they take turns making funny faces at each other. My son sent along this video which shows the BRS may have been taking head banging lessons from her Uncle Wingman.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment