Sunday, July 7, 2019

Anticipation Day


Those of you lucky enough to have endured past your fiftieth birthday know all too well how much fun the day before a colonoscopy is. I have that inestimable pleasure tomorrow and today is that benighted prep day. It has tainted my whole weekend in reality although the process has become a little less intrusive (at least the prep) in the ten years since my last go around. I was forbidden from eating popcorn starting on Friday night which seriously impacted my late night, post First Friday Man Cave time.
My Savior at First Friday
It was a slender First Friday as even Keene Friend couldn’t make it but my Favorite Panamanian rode to the rescue. We had a fun time talking the upcoming events in our lives including the European trip as well as contemplated retirement. As usual my wife had some very definite ideas on how these events will unfold. Saturday was consumed with chores before the second half was donated to some fairly frisky thunderstorms. I was reading at that point but my wife wanted to retire to the Man Cave since she does not tolerate thunder and lightning well. This probably explains why all of our dogs have been likewise afflicted.
The benefit of knowing the sterling people who populate the Panamanian Mafia was realized earlier in the day. One of them came over to help fix a recalcitrant shower in our former master bedroom. It was a remarkably easy fix but I had no idea how to do it and he squared us away quickly and wouldn’t accept any money. It probably would have cost a couple hundred dollars for a plumber to do the same thing.
Today I watched what I think was, for me, the first women’s soccer game I watched it its entirety. I was really captured and it didn’t hurt that the USA won the world cup in the game. I was impressed at how technically sound the women on both teams were, There was none of the silliness that turns me off the men’s game so much where a slight touch has someone acting like they’ve been poleaxed and may never walk again only to bounce too his feet immediately to run  around after the penalty is called. Anyway I truly enjoyed the game and I do have a lot of time on my hands today.
FBR Achieving Escape Velocity
I used that time to install a new light fixture and paint the trim on the garage door but the medicine should be kicking in soon and I’ll have to take up residency in the master bedroom with its handy facilities. The granddaughters were up to their usual standard this weekend. We have evidence the FBR has mastered kite flying. In addition to the accompanying photo Wingman sent a short video where you can hear the FBR excitedly proclaiming, “I did it daddy!!” when the kite rose in the air. Too cute to adequately describe. We spent a long call with the BRS yesterday as she was climbing over both my Favorite Son and the ABFA. Again beyond cute.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment