Saturday, December 29, 2018

Rarity

Former Cadets - Now Friends
A rare Saturday edition of Frail Deeds because the weekend after a Christmas holiday and before the New Year’s one is a bit on the strange side so I am embracing the madness. I spent the morning cleaning up some of the remaining debris from the holiday celebrations – something that required me to get creative (not my strong suit) when it came to packing the recycle bin – Christmas seems to now generate cardboard in unprecedented amounts. I blame (bless) amazon.com.
FBR Rocking her New Bathrobe
Last night was a really special celebration of First Friday. We had a good turnout from work, to include the Keene Friend, but I was also blessed to have two of my former cadets show up. I was their ROTC instructor back when I was a captain and they were obviously college students. They think it’s kind of cool that they can hang out with the guy that made their college years so miserable. I, on the other hand, get to marvel at what fine people they’ve turned out to be. They did make me feel incredibly old as they both have their own kids in college and one will be promoted next week to full colonel himself in the state national guard. I truly enjoyed catching up with them despite the weight of years those memories now carry. I’m proud if I had even a little bit to do with the obvious success both of them have achieved and for the men they turned out to be. Fridays in general and Brew City specifically are perfect for reliving old memories and I had to message my Favorite Panamanian a couple times to let her know why my First Friday was extending into the evening hours. I count it as time extremely well spent.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment