Thursday, December 27, 2018

Home Calling

Our Basketball Days Are Behind Us
But not our Friendship

Today is the annual nadir following the Christmas holiday when the house empties of its beloved residents as their own homes call them back. There are no uncertain feelings of mission accomplished as I had altogether too much fun surrounded by the most treasured people in my personal universe for the better part of the last week. The process started yesterday with my Favorite Son, the ABFA, and the BRS returning home. My son’s mastery of the old game of Tetris came in handy as we loaded his car with the spoils of the BRS’ first Christmas.
BRS Entertaining her Grandpa
They had planned on joining us at Keene Friend’s house last night for his annual gathering but the BRS staged another night of horrors for her parents which after their similar Christmas Eve experience ruled out any cross state driving from Keene. Shortly before their departure in one of the funniest moments of the entire week the BRS was sent up to awake the FBR from her afternoon nap. This is not a task for the weak of heart as the FBR inherited her mother’s grouchy wakeup mode but it turned out to be hilarious. The BRS totally embraced her role and soon had both mothers as well as my Favorite Panamanian laughing uncontrollably as she mugged her way across the FBR’s bed in front of a very entertained FBR. My daughter captured the latter stages on a video that’s too big to load here but I defy anyone seeing it not to laugh out loud.
And her Abuela
Great Aunt spent the night in the Man Cave and with the hyper-attractive (to children of all ages) Soxfather departed now assumed the primary playmate role for the FBR. They engaged in a running game of hide and seek. I was dragged into a newly acquired board game in which the FBR cheated repeatedly. After winning she consoled me with a, “It’s okay grampa. You did well”. We journeyed north just before sundown to attend the aforementioned Keene Friend’s party. This event grew out of a tradition that started back in my high school and college days when a group of close friends gathered the day after Christmas to play basketball at the local rec center, which the Keene Friend had a key to. We would then gather at my mother’s house to drink beer and tell lies. With my mother’s passing Keene Friend took up the host role for the gathering.
The Ladies Last Night
My kids grew up attending this party each year and they both specifically asked about it this year as they both thought they would be attending. This would be the FBR’s first go at the event and she acquitted herself with her usual aplomb. I soon found all ten of my fingers covered in the Keene Friend’s miniature football helmets.  It was a great casual gathering of friends to catch up with. The Cantankerous One eventually showed up to point out our, to him, obvious shortcomings and was soon joined by Keene Friend 2 along with his family.
BRS Today in her New Ball Pit (Gift from us)
One of the highlights of the evening was a long phone call with the Pittsburgh Roommate who was one of the other founding fathers of this event. He admitted he even enjoyed playing basketball with the Cantankerous Friend back in the day but specially forbade me from telling him that. The FBR fell victim to her impending bed time and had to leave early with my daughter and Wingman. Since it was a school night the rest of us didn’t stay too late but it was a time I treasure each year. It harkens back to the day all those young guys gathered in my mom’s living room fresh of the rec’s basketball court. Christmas is all about traditions and this one of my most cherished for the memories it evokes and the people I was blessed to spend it with.
I Think She likes it
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment