Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Holiday Delving

FBR Watching Moana with Moana
Note the Unicorn Slippers - My Fashion Explosion of a Granddaughter

I thought I had a follow up dermatology appointment yesterday even though I hadn’t received the usual media blitz from the doctor’s office reminding me ahead of time. The confused look I received from the reception desk clerk confirmed something was amiss. They quickly determined they had made my six month follow up appointment on December 11, 2019 instead of yesterday. That part turned out okay as the dermatologist squeezed me in but who checks the year when they hand you the print out of your next appointment?
Latest Facial Excavation
I expected to breeze through the appointment since the last one had resulted in some needed Mohs surgery and I figured I was good to go for at least a couple years. Sadly that was not the case as the experience of having a fairly attractive strange lady run her hands all over my body was tempered by the need to take biopsies from three different locations, one on my face and two on my back. My Christmas wish is they all come back negative and there will be no need for further Mohs surgery.
My Pterodactyl Screamer 
My Favorite Panamanian asked me if I’d told the dermatologist that I was planning on retiring to one of the sunniest places on earth in a little while. I’ll probably have to invest in some sort of burqa to keep these two ladies happy. Even my wife admits this isn’t a result of my current sun screen practices which range into Betelgeuse makeup levels but more a reflection of being a serious gringo and being sent to a lot of very sunny places during my misspent youth in the military.
BRS and ABFA with her Namesake Great Grandmother Recently
The FBR immediately noticed the bandage on my face despite being in the middle of intense negotiations with her mother on the consumption of broccoli. The FBR caved with the promise of post-broccoli ice cream. The BRS was sound asleep after returning home with the ABFA from day care. My Favorite Son is fighting off a stomach flu that’s kept him out of work for a couple days. He reports that the power eating squawk the BRS emits during meals is now commonplace. He calls it her “pterodactyl scream” as she proclaims her dominance over her food and is happy with the taste.
Date night last night so the wife and I were at the cinema to see Green Book. This is not your typical road trip/buddy movie. Viggo Mortensen plays a stereotypical Bronx Italian tough employed to drive an African American classical pianist, Mahershali Ali, through the Deep South in the early 1960s. They run into the oppressive Jim Crow restrictions as the two diametrically opposed personalities grow into friendship. I was a little stunned to see Aragorn play a convincing overweight Yankees fan but that’s a tribute to the actor involved. Both of the leads are on the top of their game and there’s a lot of heart on display. Since this involves race issues I’m sure there’ll be detractors but this simple story elegantly lays out at least some of the despotic environment the South was in the not too distant past. Racism rarely survives for anyone with a modicum of intelligence by shining a light on it and this movie does that. It’s not perfect but weaves humor and heart into a very entertaining story that delivers an important message without preaching.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment