Sunday, December 9, 2018

Holiday Bonanza

The Mafia Last Night

Last night was what is becoming a holiday tradition – our annual Christmas Party for neighbors and the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia. My wife was in hyper-prep mode all week which is not a zone for the weak minded to dwell in. Deckzilla Dude had a rough week as every speck of the clouds of dust his construction efforts yielded had to be accounted for. All of her preparations resulted in a nearly perfect night as friends and neighbors gathered to share some holiday spirit.


The Maine Musquetera and her mate journeyed down from Maine for a quick visit which enhanced the evening as well as saved me from serving as my wife’s designated punch list boy for last minute details. I actually got to watch some of the Army-Navy game in the Man Cave with my counterpart from Maine. The cooking prep ran right up to arrival time so I was summoned to cut potatoes five minutes before the start time while the ladies rushed up stairs to get dressed.


Most of the people attending had to only walk across the street so fifteen minutes later nearly the whole group had arrived. That meant I had to greet people, hang up coats, and serve drinks while simultaneously cutting the aforementioned spuds. These were all excellent people and the familial surrogates all military families learn to assimilate it was not a problem.
Add caption


Last night was an excellent example of why we chose to finally put down on roots on this wind swept hill in Worcester. While I love the convenience of the location it’s all about the people, this eclectic gathering of people from across the globe as well as the city itself. They truly are family and I count myself so fortunate to have found this group. This morning is all about recovery since a prodigious amount of liquid holiday spirits were engaged and destroyed last night.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment