Friday, May 18, 2018

Week End!

Hanging with this Young Lady Tomorrow

Yesterday was one of those days where I find myself searching longingly for the light of the end of the tunnel – retirement. A day that started out with politicians and reporters continued with lawyers culminated with a monthly budget review. I was asking myself why I was still doing this. I know the answer but for probably the first time I honestly told myself I could walk away and not work anymore. So how was your Thursday? Luckily for me returning home more than recharged a very depleted battery as my wife regaled me with her accomplishments in the garden department.

Wife Administering to her Gardens
Over the past few days, with a small assist in the hole digging and stone removal departments from me, she has completed her spring refurbishments of the back yard terrace gardens. Her annuals have re-emerged along with the chipmunks and a couple of additions made. I always squawk when I come home to find yet another car load of flowers have arrived but she has a real knack for turning our yard into something approaching exotic. She has five rose bushes waiting their turn in huge pots. As soon as the grass on the side lawn has grown she’s (we’re) going to realize her long held dream of a rose garden. It will have the obligatory Virgin Mary statue (good catholic that she is). She’s genuinely excited about the prospect.

Smiling Like Abuela's Talking to Her
 After a full day in the garden my Favorite Panamanian stole away for an evening yoga class while Keene Friend and I talked with the FBR via video call. She’d had an up and down week in the Child Care department mainly about her nap time revolts but she ended her week there with a solid nap that had both of her parents very pleased. She’s looking forward to today’s Daddy-Daughter Day which she was in the process of negotiating with Wingman during the call. She also promised me a ride on the kiddie train at a local park when I next come to visit – currently exploring options for New Jersey travel.
FBR Art


We have a busy weekend ahead of us. My wife and I are driving up to New Hampshire tonight after First Friday (solid bet she’ll be driving). My son has inherited my wall building genes and I offered to help as he starts with a series of walls on his terraced front lawn. We could have some tough weather to contend with but I’m psyched to have this chance to work with him again. My wife is equally excited about the opportunity to hang with the BRS. Each time we video call with my son the BRS breaks out into a huge smile when she hears my wife’s voice, confounding my son who’s usually in the middle of vainly trying to get a smile out of his daughter after returning from work.
Walls and Granddaughters
After a day of hard labor (mine more than hers) we’re driving down to Rhode Island on Saturday night for an evening with Great Aunt and Soxfather’s more than outstanding family at my favorite Irish Bar – McShawn’s. Great Aunt goes in for her second knee replacement surgery this week and wanted to grab this opportunity to party before the whole dreaded physical therapy sessions start. I applaud her milestone planning and am psyched to spend some time with Soxfather’s extended family – they do know how to party. The perfect antidote for politicians, lawyers, and accountants.

No comments:

Post a Comment