Sunday, May 6, 2018

Finish Line Stumbles

Oh Boy - It's Daddy-Daughter Day!

The FBR had an extra special Daddy-Daughter Day on Friday that involved zoo animals and later a first ever sprinkler session. I know Wingman looks forward to Fridays and not for the same reasons that I do. While he doesn’t have a First Friday celebration beckoning in his afternoons he’s arranged his work schedule to have at least one full day where it’s just he and the FBR – adventures usually ensue.
Impossibly Cute

Yon Wolf has a Lean and Hungry Look

Bobcats!
I love these days also which I experience vicariously through the photos and videos Wingman provides. What is clear from these photos is how much fun the FBR is having. The goats were an early (I’m sure TB12 influenced) favorite but the FBR was firmly in the giraffe camp by the end of the day. One of her earliest favorite toys was a giraffe named Sophie so that kind of follows. She also got a mini-train ride in before adjourning to one of those seemingly constant neighborhood get togethers.


Hangtime With One of her Best Buds
Wingman was amazed that she immediately took to the sprinkler because she’d never been in one before but this child loves to splash. I also believe it is part of every child’s DNA to embrace running through a sprinkler. She also acquired hose nozzle which was immediately weaponized and given her tendencies with snowballs I’m sure was turned on Wingman at the first opportunity.
Danger Wingman!

Daddy's Little Sleeper
Further north the BRS continued her conquest of the night extending her streak of sleeping through the entire night for the second night in a row. I know my Favorite Son is exceedingly pleased for this development. Since his earliest days he’s been a firm believer in a full night’s sleep which is, of course, diametrically opposed to life with a new born. I think the BRS having fully bonded with her daddy realized how important this was. At least, that’s my theory.
Future Front Lawn (Hopefully) Hyrdo-Seeded
After a fairly rowdy celebration of the First Friday of the Week I was faced with an open Saturday, fantastic weather, and a wife determined to begin her annual garden explosion. She also decided the exterior of the house required washing (I know – don’t ask). We descended on the local Home Depot along with a hefty percentage of the entire population of Worcester. That’s something I love about New England – as soon as the weather turns New Englanders burst out of their houses to spend time outside. I think we’re genetically tied to the emergence of leaves on the trees. Virtually every neighbor was outside yesterday working on their yards – it had a reunion feel after the winter of isolation of hurried muffled hellos.
The Joke was on Me - Wife's Plans Loaded Up
It took two journeys through the register to properly address my wife’s flora needs. As we embarked on the second go around I jokingly pulled a large loading cart over to highlight how much she’d already bought. Big mistake. Forty-five minutes later my joke was fully laden with another set of plants that I had to figure how to fit into an already full Highlander while still properly respecting the viability of the plant branches – not an easy task. We returned home and I launched on some tasks I wanted to accomplish. I fixed the garage door which had been sticking during its descent. The magic formula that is WD40 solved that issue rather too quickly and I was summoned for the house washing. I’m not complaining because said house washing involves the use of my power washer which I will fully admit to an almost unnatural enjoyment of. I’ll use the thing to power wash anything firmly attached enough to withstand the force (and a few things that aren’t – don’t ask about the missing neighborhood cat).
Deckzilla - All Cleaned Up
Once I got the house washed I shifted focus to Deckzilla. Each year I power wash the entire beast and then use a transparent sealer because I like the look of the natural color of the wood versus stain or paint. Either I’m getting old (yes Cantankerous Friend – I know which side of this argument you’ll come down on) or I forgot just how damned big Deckzilla is. I started with the power washing around 1 in the afternoon and finished seven hours later. My back was barking like a squirrel-infuriated Buddy and both of my arms were at muscle failure point. Deckzilla looked pretty good though and almost sneered at me for my exposed weakness.
My wife had spent my power washing time planting her wide assortment of newly acquired plants so she was every bit as exhausted as I was. We were a pretty sad picture as we stumbled across the finish line of the day’s chores. The only problem I faced was the inability to fall asleep despite the tiredness. My wife brightly opined that I was too tired to fall asleep. I’m not sure I followed the logic but eventually slumber of the deepest variety arrived on the scene. Thank God it’s raining today which will keep me inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment