Thursday, January 25, 2018

Loneliness Infusion

Last night was the first time I really felt the isolation of my current living situation. These were times in prior years that Buddy the Wonder Pooch stepped up his game and made the house seem definitively less lonely. I felt his absence keenly last night. Part of the problem was also a lack of contact with my far fling family. I had a brief conversation with my wife as she and the Neighborhood Mafioso were headed out on their latest adventure in Panama. I also tried to connect with the FBR who’s always good for an injection of heart but she was unavailable.
Grampa - I am Available But You Must Consult my Schedule!
There are times, especially after a chaotic day at work, where I relish a few moments of solitude in the Man Cave but last night, for some undefinable reason lost in the cold fog, was not one of those times. I did eventually have a very brief conversation with my daughter and the FBR as they returned my call while I waiting in line at the movie theater. The biggest help however turned out to be the movie I chose to see.
I comfortable enough in my skin to admit that I love movie musicals and I really liked The Greatest Showman. It provided a nice lift on a cold winter night and had me tapping my feet several times. The film involves a highly fictionalized story of the life of PT Barnum the quintessential American showman. I’m always surprised to see Hugh Jackman sing and dance instead of skewer someone with adamantine claws. He’s the life blood of this and exudes charisma ably assisted by Michelle Williams and Rebecca Ferguson. I’ve always been a fan of Zac Effron but this was the first time he was clearly fighting well above his weight; strong testimony to just how good Jackman can be. I liked the story of inclusion and rejection of class distinctions. Barnum is such an American character which may explain why I liked it. There was a very clear rejection of prejudice from both ends of the political spectrum – aimed squarely at both Trump and the elites alike. The first half drags a little bit but whenever Jackman is surrounded by his circus troupe the movie soars. I couldn’t help smearing an unlikely smile on my face throughout. That cold winter night and empty house were no match to this movie. I’ve included two of the songs that especially got me going.




The Bad Cinema project count rises to #99 out of 100, with Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe as Jesse Venture tries and fails to become the next Ahnuld.

No comments:

Post a Comment