Saturday, January 20, 2018

Friend Zone

Keene Friend (2d from Right) at Brew City Last Night
The First Friday of the laborious first week back from a tropical vacation was bound to welcome on any number of planes. I had a very full day with a farewell lunch for one of my managers and the arrival of Keene Friend for an interview. I’ve tried to convince him for years to come work for me and there could be an opportunity opening up shortly. In preparation for that he came down for the interview with my Assistant General Manager and the HR Director. I sat in on the interview but did not participate for ethical reasons because he is such a close friend. As I predicted he showed he would be a perfect fit if the job does open up.
Surrounded by my Fantastic Staff (and the union business agent)
At the Farewell Lunch Yesterday
I scheduled the interview for late in the afternoon so there was a natural transition for the commemoration of the First Friday of the Week. This marked my inaugural Friday effort at Brew City this year since all prior ones had been pursued on a beach in Panama. We had a great turnout and Keene Friend fit in seamlessly. I was treated like a returning hero by our favorite waitress (never underestimate the power of generous tips). We returned home where  Keene Friend agreed to spend the night. After a trio of video calls to say hi to my far flung family we tried to go down the hill for dinner out. We didn’t want to wait and since even the bar was packed we returned home for some burgers and a couple movies in the cave. It’s appropriate Keene Friend was with me for the latest bad cinema film as we both revel in wretched movies.
Emerging from Hide
The New Jersey contingent finally came through with some photos of the FBR and she was even mildly interested in talking with us last night. I think it was the presence of Keene Friend. Later Wingman sent me a text explaining his recent reticence. He’s dealing with some disturbing family health news. I wish we were close enough to hang out together this weekend. It can be so difficult to have people you care about in pain but not close enough to hug them.

With her Buddy

Catgirl

Supervising Dad
The Bad Cinema project count rises to #93 out of 100, with The Bat, definitely not a sci fi film but it had Vincent Price, so there was something.

No comments:

Post a Comment