Thursday, August 31, 2017

Sublime Ugliness and Cringe-a-thon

My Favorite Bathing Beauty
Well, the forms came off this morning and the fire pit is finally revealed in all its sublime horrible glory. I’ve still got some pointing up to do but for my first ever cement project I’m extremely pleased at how well it came out but I have to admit it is extremely ugly. The key feature remains that it is functional. I even sloped the base towards the rear so nothing will roll out. I’m sure this would haunt the dreams of a trained mason but I’m taking more than appropriate pride in how it came out. It was a lot more work than I thought going in and esthetics have never been my strong suit (could be from having to look in a mirror for the past sixty or so years).
The Last Forms
I’m sure my Favorite Panamanian, who returns tonight, will have some very polite suggestions as to my lack of architectural grace but the fire pit and I are in this together. I may consider lining the outside with exposed stone but the fire place itself rocks! Trust me. I will adamantly oppose her first inclination which I’m sure will be to buy me a large sledge hammer.
The Result
Finally the fire pit project also brought the death knell for my last pair of running shoes. When running was a part of my daily routine I used to go through a couple pairs of shoes per year. These shoes are the last ones remaining and the ones I wore for that last run in 2013 before the doctors gave me the choice of continuing to run or have my knee amputated. I really miss those runs but these shoes gave me an additional four years of lawn mowing, Thanksgiving football games, and assorted other projects but are now falling apart. Several semi-important pieces fell off during my hillside adventures this week. I replaced them with possibly the most comfortable sneakers I’ve ever owned but my wife has issue with the white color. A basic style disagreement as I chose comfort over fashion. This will teach her to leave me to own devices.

The Old Shoes

Instant Comfort
Making the final cement pours last night went faster than anticipated and I finally snuck out for a movie or more appropriately a Cringe-a-thon. I went to see Ingrid Goes West which had me flinching throughout. It was that good. Aubrey Plaza dominates as the cringe master playing a deranged internet stalker with enough resources to travel west and haunt the life of a social media maven. The cringes come because Plaza veers from almost likable to insanely stalkerish. I was visibly wincing as her character couldn’t help but victimize herself (and everyone else involved) repeatedly. The film is an excellent expose on the extremely limited depth of social media types. The only character remotely likable in the cast is Ice Cube’s son who resembles his dad so much as to question whether he is fact a clone. This is Plaza’s film though and she abandons the brash personae most of her roles called for and this works because despite all the evidence against her you can’t help but feel her pain. I’ll never see this movie again because of how uncomfortable it made me feel at times (caring about a stalker) but it was a fun ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment