Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Sublimity Eclipsed

Some Very Happy Campers Yesterday
I want to officially go on record to complain about the media hype for yesterday’s solar eclipse. I understood I wouldn’t be getting the full treatment, even in the “deep south” (New Jersey) but I thought it would at least be noticeable. I kept waiting for some kind of twilight and queried google for the time it was supposed to peak there. It turned out to be three minutes from when I asked. I wouldn’t have even noticed if the neighbor across the street hadn’t set up a camera in his driveway and conducted eclipse monitoring activity from inside his parked car (at least that’s what I think/hope he was doing).
With the Clouds The Eclipse was Visible
The last couple days flew by precisely because they were the last of our sublime visit with the First Blog Reader. There was nothing epic or noteworthy other than reveling in the time spent with this little sprite, source of such immense diversion. She would find new ways to charm us and in most cases she wasn’t even trying. When she did try I was completely in her thrall. I’ll tell most of the story through the attached photos.
Pats Fan, Of Course

Meal Time Shenanigans

2d Time Through Spaghetti wasn't as Clean

But it Made for Excellent Hair Mousse
She is very aquatically inclined which I would like to take at least some credit for on the genealogical side of things. The hot weather called for another trip to the playground featuring fountains. She said very clearly yesterday morning. “I want go to water park!”. It’s hard to believe I could take such pleasure from just watching her cavort. She would pass through a fountain just enough to get wet and then full tilt back to my location laughing in genuine glee the whole way.
Water Park

The Laughing Run Back to Us



After yesterday’s popcorn fart of an eclipse we adjourned to the back deck where we combined the splash table with her pool and she put the “splash” into the table. Her abuela showed her how to fill up a cup with water and chase down her grandfather. While that was a lot of fun the return fire was even more so. I took another cup and poured it over her head to which she screamed in delight.
Back Deck Time



When she gets excited she starts waving her hands frantically. She apparently thought my dousing of her was on the high side of entertainment. Whenever she wants to repeat something (like reading that damned thoughtful giraffe book) she says very emphatically “Moah!”. Every time I poured and she finished spluttering there was the inevitable MOAH! When I finally escaped this seemingly endless cycle she took to doing it to herself and laughing uncontrollably.
Pouring Water

The Reaction
The hardest part was putting her down for sleep last night, knowing we wouldn’t interact with her in person again for at least a couple weeks. I’m sure she was wondering why grandpa looked so sad after our bedtime book reading session (57th time with the thoughtful giraffes). I felt the profound kind of sadness whenever a highly anticipated family gathering or party winds down. You know the well-earned euphoria is about to take a nose dive.
Frozen Yogurt Break

Very Appreciated
Oh and I had a three hour nocturnal drive back to Worcester staring me in the face. I had planned to pick up Wingman and my daughter at the Newark Airport but the extended time in the sun yesterday seemed to affect me a bit. After all those years basking in tropical and desert suns I’m now susceptible to even a New Jersey summer sun. Of course I was a little distracted due to watching the activities described above. My Favorite Panamanian insisted I rest and the travelling duo assured me it was simple to “uber” home (still felt like a bit of a wimp).

Pouring Water on Herself

Hasn't Learned to Close her Eyes Yet

The Obligatory Abuela Dance Session
By the time the parents returned and we executed the appropriate, if hurried, pleasantries with the change of command my wife and I were on the road by 11pm. The rest appeared to do the trick as I made the drive without an issue. The only problem with late night driving in New England in the summer is that is prime road construction time. We didn’t experience any of the delays we dealt with on our prior Thursday night’s drive down, at least until we hit the entrance to the Mass Pike. We were only seventeen miles from home and the clock was hitting 2am when traffic came to a standstill. Anyone who has ever driven the Mass Pike knows that is not a completely unheard of eventuality but I thought a 2am rendition was overdoing it. We waited for 20 minutes for either an accident or the construction crews to change closed lanes. The exact nature of the reason for the delay was never revealed but I did offer a hidden one finger salute to phosphorescent vested minions when we were eventually released from imprisonment. Surprisingly getting up for work this morning wasn’t the gut punch I thought it was going to be. I would much rather have been hosting a certain 21 month old out of her crib though.  
The Aftermath

Some Real Bonding Going on Here

As I Said, Complete Thrall

She Took Abuela Out for an Evening Stroll


Can't Wait for Those Little Footprints Next to Mine Again

No comments:

Post a Comment