Thursday, August 24, 2017

Autumnal Break

Weather took a serious turn towards seasonal change yesterday. I’m hoping this harbinger of my favorite season of the year hangs around for a while. I celebrate the first cold snap of each fall as mosquitos meet their annual demise and perspiration goes on hiatus. I know I’m jumping the gun just a bit and that summer probably has a few more haymakers to throw our way but it was way cool to sleep with windows open all night for the first time in a long while.
Our movie catchup schedule continued apace last night as my wife and I took in Wind River. This is a very stark outing with the desolate, but spectacular, winter landscape of Wyoming playing a major supporting character and reflecting the barren lives of the main characters. Jeremy Renner continues to evolve as an actor and exudes gravitas as a taciturn hero with the weight of the world on his shoulders but still in hot, if understated, pursuit of justice for a murdered Indian girl. His Avenger co-star Red Witch more than holds her own in the talented cast in the crucial role of the sole FBI agent also trying to track down the killer. There are several startling shootouts in the cleverly crafted tale. Gil Birmingham, in an all too small part, once again steals every scene he’s in as a grieving father. This reminded me in a lot of ways of CJ Box’s outstanding novels set in generally the same area. I can’t recommend this movie highly enough. I think Renner is going to be something very special as he reaches middle age and settles into the parts Tommy Lee Jones has outgrown.

To answer your question, yes it was a very slow day yesterday, event wise, and I’ve been up to my hips in alligators all day today with no time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment