Monday, August 7, 2017

Future Viewed

Wife and I on our Condo Balcony Yesterday
It’s been a hectic few months but one of reasons I continue to work when I don’t have to was brought home in very bright tropical colors yesterday. Early Saturday we loaded up the household and journeyed into Boston for our flight to Panama. My mother in law ran into a young TSA agent in training and got to know her on a very intimate level. I’m sure 85 year old great grandmothers present an imminent threat to airline safety. A couple of the infamous PanaGals and the recently visiting uncle greeted us at the Panama City airport during our layover there awaiting our onward flight to David. The uncle had his new girlfriend along for a quick, laugh filled lunch. They’re both widowers and had only met over the internet until he returned from his visit with us. He must have a good chat “game”.
The Layover Lunch
Yesterday saw us traveling to Las Lajas for the inaugural event of the homeowners at our soon to be completed beachfront condo. This was our first chance to meet all the other owners. They held a day long party at the complex with no less than three separate min-bars set up and a barbecue with non-stop music. I was the only gringo in attendance but they all made me feel extremely welcome. I’d been a little nervous about how we’d mesh with the group since most of them are lifelong friends or business associates.
Wife and I On Our Condo Balcony

At One of the Mini-Bars

The Party
Of course I had my secret weapon in dealing with strangers – my Favorite Panamanian. I don’t I’ve ever seen her fail to make friends in any social situation. She has bone deep charisma. She’d met a couple of the ladies at Tai Chi classes last year while she was in David caring for her ailing father. There was a very nice mix of young families and older residents. I really liked the social dynamics and the last reservations I had about spending half of my retired life there dissolved. We had complete access to our future condo and can start moving furniture in this week, even though we don’t sign the papers until later this year.
Wife in our Condo Living Room

The Kitchen

Guest Bedroom

Balcony

View from Master Bedroom
I spent a lot of the day with my gaze drawn to the beach and pool (not just because of the bikinis either) imagining my children and their kids cavorting. I had a definite vision of teaching the First Blog Reader how to body surf in Las Lajas incomparable waves as early as next year. There’s always doubt when you enter into this kind of future but as stated above – it looks nothing but promising after yesterday’s magical day.




We returned to David where that future body surfing student entertained the assembled family in a FaceTime call. The Cousin of the Legendary Laugh stopped by for a visit with stories of her sixth and seventh grandchildren who were both born this week. We topped off the night with a very entertaining dinner at El Fogon. The waiter there remembered me from earlier visits and went out  of his way to take care of us (the power of generous tipping). My hope of recharging my spiritual batteries during this week is certainly off to a good start with two nights of more than eight hours sleep; something that’s eluded me for the past couple months.

Happier Times for Virginia Musquetera
In news from back home, reports from Great Aunt on Buddy the Wonder Pooch have him doing well in her canine Shangri-La. The other two dogs seem to accept he’s not up to his usual rambunctiousness and Great Aunt is doing her customary fantastic job of caring for her old Buddy. My wife received some shocking news concerning the Virginia Musquetera. She was on vacation down in North Carolina when her husband collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. The initial diagnosis was a burst aneurism with only a ten per cent chance of survival. It was painful for my wife to be so far away from one of her oldest and closest friends during this personal crisis. Please keep her family in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment