Sunday, July 3, 2016

Independence Kick Off

Wife and I Rocking the Red White and Blue at the Party
Where to start with a day as varied as yesterday turned out to be? We awoke to the continued task of sorting out where everything goes in the new house. I finished up in the garage and it now resembles some sort of organization. I still have to find a spot for the wife’s varied and somewhat bizarre collection of gardening accoutrement. I finally got around to assembling the electric lawnmower I’ve had for several weeks. It hasn’t been a pressing need since the drought has rendered lawn mowing superfluous. It will be interesting learning to mow with this. The biggest challenge will be not running over the electric cord.
The New Lawnmower
My wife has moved upstairs to probably the biggest challenge facing her with this move – her shoes. My suggestion to re-name the guest room closet chosen as her vault the “Imelda Room” was met with stony silence. We should be hanging pictures soon which will constitute the final act. So less than a week to get settled, we’ve still got it!
My Wife was Her Usual Effervescent Self

Why We Were There Celebrating
We had to break away from unpacking duty to attend an annual pool party to celebrate Independence Day thrown by a member of the Latina Mafia. It’s always fun trying to remember the names of the people we enjoy spending the day with since this is the only day of the year we see each other. It was an eclectic mix of attendees with a large immigrant population as well as a number who could trace their ancestry back to the earliest days of New England. Since I was reflecting under the assistance of several Coors Lites I thought it was a perfect way to celebrate Independence Day since we are a country of immigrants – one of our true strengths. 
My Daughter's Old Shelves
We were surprised to see a set of bookcases we'd given away as part of the move. They had belonged to my daughter who painted them some weird colors when she was in middle school. The party hosts had re-purposed and re-painted them and they looked great.
Re-Purposed and Patriotic
We returned home to await the Worcester fireworks display which allegedly could be seen from our back yard. This turned out to be true but only if, as my wife did, you climbed onto the top railing of the deck. I journeyed to the top of the hillside behind the house while the backyard Mafiosos and their family found a spot on our driveway. It was a fun neighborhood celebration but fireworks at a distance are not as entertaining. It was interesting that I now feel more a part of the neighborhood now that I own a house versus the past year’s renting.

Back Into the Swing of Things
Both the granddaughter and grandpuppy provided pictures today. I can’t believe how fast Riggins is growing or that the First Blog Reader can maintain her cuteness at the stratospheric level as consistently as she does. 
Getting so Big!
Increased Mobility has Led to Restrictions

Can Still Fit (barely) Under the Coffee Table

Out to Dinner with Mom and Dad


Spreading her Wings










No comments:

Post a Comment