Saturday, July 16, 2016

Hinterlanding

Winging it on Friday Night
So for the first of the two free days I had left in Panama was spent doing a good deed for my father in law. He’s feeling more and more isolated as his health has deteriorated over the past few years. Something that always seems to revive his spirits is a trip back to the small town where he grew up. It’s only a thirty minute drive from David so we loaded everyone up in the car and headed for the mountains.
My Father in Law Visiting Yesterday

Banana Bearing
You could almost see the years melt away as he excitedly pointed out memorable locations from his youth (I think I know how my own kids feel when they’re forced to listen to me about Keene).   There was no plan other than to stop at houses of various friends and relatives for short visits. One cousin had a bunch of bananas fall out of the tree in their back yard and since they had plenty I was told to load them into the trunk. 
We stopped for lunch at a small roadside bodega. My wife and her uncle were soon wielding a long pole so she could grab a pod of guava, which is apparently a real delicacy despite how disgusting it looked. I deferred trying it. I am not culinarily adventuresome (a vast understatement).
Wife and Uncle Treat Hunting

After the late day siesta to wait out a truly impressive series of thunderstorms (rainy season showing up in spades) my brother in law and his wife rescued Friday night for me by taking the group to a newly opened Buffalo Wings Restaurant. I’m glad to see the USA is exporting some of the more important aspects of American culture. It was a fun night filled with laughter and we even got to see the Red Sox vanquish the hated Yankees with a decidedly Yankees crowd.
Possibly Too Much Fun
One more day in in Panama  which should include a visit to Las Lajas and a party with the Cousin of the Legendary Laugh.













No comments:

Post a Comment