Friday, July 22, 2016

Designing

Yes, We Think You're #1 Also
Well I’m the proud owner of yet another couch. By my calculations that makes two this year, not to mention the various re-upholstery involved with current couches. My wife had complained that our current couch and love seat, which have been fine since 1991 and the eleven houses we’ve inhabited since then, simply did not work in the new house. In one of my wisest life decisions I no longer venture into opinions on interior design; at least with my wife and her infinitely more developed sense of style.
Our New Couch - 4-6 Weeks From Now
She escaped yesterday with the Neighborhood Mafioso and I was shortly thereafter apprised of the decision I was asked to endorse. I was smart enough to decline asking whether this was strictly needed. She’s now on a quest to sell the current living room set, if anybody out there needs one, let me know. The recent reupholstering contractor said this was high quality furniture, well-constructed. It just doesn’t fit, I guess. She bought it from the furniture chain that has the most annoying commercials aired during Red Sox games, but I didn't learn that until after it was a fait accompli. 
Since I was freed up while the shopping expedition wandered east into the outskirts of Boston I snuck out for a movie that wouldn’t have appealed to my usual date due to the robust use of the F-word. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates certainly tries to set a new F-Word record and while moderately uneven this movie belongs to Aubrey Plaza and Anna Kendrick who absolutely dominate their male counterparts in this very raunchy comedy. The plot revolves around two losers who try to find respectable girls for their sister’s wedding. Enter Plaza and Kendrick as their worst choice possible, feigning respectability to travel to the Hawaiian wedding scene. Once there the predictable hijinks ensue and you’d have to be a certified idiot not to realize where they’ll all end up but the very engaging actors make it work. If you’ve seen the trailer then you’ve seen all of the funniest gags but this was still worth the time, as long as you’re immune to serial profanity.

I think I may have found another author. I finished up L.T. Ryan’s book Noble Beginnings featuring Jack Noble. I’ve been bombarded on social media and Amazon for the past year about this book series because they know I’m a huge Jack Reacher fan.  In their infinite wisdom they feel anybody who likes Reacher will like Noble. That’s a bit of a reach, because let’s be honest – there can be only one, but I found this first book in the Noble series entertaining if a bit farfetched. I think this is because of my time in the military and the power Ryan assigns to some DOD assets that went beyond the pale. That being said he does a very good job introducing Noble as a Marine serving detached duty with the CIA and getting embroiled in an elaborate frame up. As he tries to figure out what’s going on bodies are falling all around him. I’ve already started he second book in the series which tells you how much I enjoyed this first one.
Yes, You Are!

Mommy and Grampa's Need to Read Successfully Passed Down





No comments:

Post a Comment