Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Caping Getaway

Where the Conference is Located
Yesterday I traveled down to Cape Cod for a two day conference with a number of transit agencies from across Massachusetts.  The conference was located at the Sea Crest Resort in North Falmouth.  The drive down was a lot less problematic than I anticipated with virtually no traffic amid a beautiful early fall day.  I was using my old GPS system which I hadn’t used in over two years but it was working perfectly, I got reacquainted with my old friend as she kept saying “recalculating” every time I took an unauthorized turn.  I arrived a little early and decided to put the GPS system in the trunk.  As soon as I closed the trunk I realized that I had locked my keys in the trunk as well!  I was able to access the trunk from the back seat but the hole was only big enough to fit my arm.  I could see the fluorescent tag to open the trunk dangling just out of reach and seeming to taunt me for my idiocy.  I was drenched with sweat as I eventually and unsuccessfully used a coat hanger to try and reach the tag.  In frustration I dragged the GPS system over to the hole and in doing so I dragged the keys within reach – sometimes you just need dumb luck.  The hotel was very nice – a  throw back style to the 1950’s, but it works.  We had a hastily arranged meeting with the German company that provided our new fare boxes.  They got an earful about how poorly their machines were operating.  In typical German aloofness they were heavy with excuses in the too small room crowded with unhappy customers.  They were almost condescending until one of them said incredulously, “Who told you that?” and then being told that their own technician had said it.  After that point the heretofore arrogance descended into “Let me look into that.”  (A semi-win for the good guys)  When the conference started the first presenter (could have changed a $9 bill with 3’s) was struggling badly and was clearly unprepared when his automatic slide changer wouldn’t work.  Since I was closest to the computer I started hitting the forward button every time he wanted to move forward but he seemed incapable of letting me know when he wanted that to happen.  We got through it somehow.  Lunch was in a dining room with a glorious view of Buzzard’s Bay.  The afternoon session included a presentation on a Veterans Shuttle that I had set up in my last job.  I was happy to see it turned out to be a good project but I was given no credit. (the presenter came up and apologized later – she didn’t realize I was going to be in the audience).  I wasn’t angry – my job was to make the overall boss look good and that’s what happened.  I was just about to nod off when I got a call from the front desk telling me my hotel room was ready.  I snuck out and checked into the room.  As I was making my way back to the last session I ran into my boss who said we needed to go to the beach bar to “network” (have I told you before that I have the best boss!).  We spent a great couple of hours “networking” and then moved over for the cocktail hour and dinner. This was held in a courtyard of the hotel overlooking the beach.  We had a great view of a spectacular sunset over the water and an open bar.  I was able to reconnect with several other friends during this time and we then moved inside to the bar where the fun continued.  It turned out to be a pretty good day, thanks to a great boss.
View From My Room
The Networking Bar
View From the Bar
Great Saying - Need to Show My Wife This
The Great Sunset
Great Way to End the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment