Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Birthday Boy

Today is the birthday of a guy, commonly referred to in this blog as Keene Friend, whom I have known since the late 1960s.  Although he doesn’t remember we met in the seventh grade when we were on the same intramural volleyball team.  Other than family, only he and one other guy (Cantankerous Friend) have been a part of my life that long.  He has been such a good friend over that time that I wanted to pay a little tribute to him today on the day of his birth.  We became close friends in high school where we often shared the same table in the cafeteria for lunch.  He was a good athlete and taught me more about basketball than anyone else, mostly on the Franklin Street outdoor court that no longer exists.  He was the first of our gang of friends to have his own car, a green Catalina, nicknamed “the cat” (whiskers provided by Robo Wash), where we achieved new land speed records on North Lincoln Street (appropriately right next to a cemetery) and late night coasting all the way into Keene from the top of West Hill.  As I launched out into the world on my military career he stayed in Keene and I always envied him a little bit for that.  He was the first person I called whenever I did return home.  He was a surrogate son to my mother when I was too far away, shoveling her driveway and helping out whenever needed.  Since my mother passed he has been the reason we have to return to Keene and his post Christmas parties have become a cherished tradition for my entire family.  He’s one of those rare individuals who can fit into any crowd and immediately become part of the group – even rising to senatorial rank in Rhode Island.  He’s lived a life of quiet excellence and touched a lot of lives in a positive way that he will never take credit for.  Whenever we are out on the town in Keene invariably someone will come up and say hi to him, whether he coached them in Little League, played softball with them, or they worked for him, they all have the same opinion – a really good guy.   Both of my kids refer to him as “Uncle” and he has a refrigerator covered with photos of other children of friends from whom he earned the same title.  Happy Birthday to one of the finest people it has been my genuine pleasure to know.
Traveling Down to a Virginia Party - 2002
Pennsylvania Party 2003
Demonstrating a Move to my Sister - 1979
Christmas - my House - 1977
Meeting My Wife for First Time - Christmas 1982
Christmas 1982
At His Cousin's House in Spofford 1990
Keene 2012
Trying to Be My "Filter" at the Bar
Thanks for Being a True Brother

No comments:

Post a Comment