Friday, April 12, 2024

Multiple Reunions

My Favorite Panamanian returned yesterday from spending time with her mom and everything seemed to click back in place. My carpet cleaning received passing grades which wasn’t the only surprise endured. The clouds which had been our constant companion since she left abandoned us for most of the day. Some returned late in the day to provide an elegant background for the sunset which was the first one we could observe since she departed. She joined the upstairs neighbors and I for the sunset ceremony and relished in the fact we attached the return of the sun to her presence.

She's Back!
Reunited with the Sunset Gang
My other pre-deployment activities (windows and balcony projects) were also roundly praised by my better half which led to wonder what phase the stars we’re under. She’s usually capable of liking what I’ve done but also pointing out corollary aspects I should have addressed. I’m not complaining, I’ll take it, especially with the remaining projects we’re facing over the next week. The suitcases came down out of storage this morning and this is a girl who treats packing as if it is a fine art. This runs headlong into my own technique, or I should say, lack of technique. This promises to be interesting but I have a ready supply of beer on hand. I’m making the switch from my Panamanian staple of Atlas back to Coors Lite because that transition shouldn’t be overlooked as we prepare for our return. For political reasons I didn’t add that to the written list of what we have to accomplish as we prepare to close up shop here.

Cantankerous and I the Year We Met
Today is an important day also for a completely different reason, it marks the day of birth of none other than that “famous” individual, the Cantankerous Friend. As usual, we’re on different continents when this day rolls around, but I hope to link up with him week after next on a thunder run back to my home town, adult beverages will be involved. My friend has evolved into something of a renaissance man since his retirement, although he’d probably want to argue with me on that point (it’s what he does). He’s an avid bicyclist now and has toured across the country on some truly impressive rides. Even more remarkably, he’s taken up snow skiing at our advanced age, including an epic trip to the French Alps this year that I hope to hear about when we get together. So happy birthday to one of my oldest friends, rock on!

More Recently
My Favorite Panamanian’s return wasn’t the only reunion taking place yesterday. As we were walking in from the sunset ceremony, we heard the distinctive barking of three hyperactive, small dogs which heralded the return of the Panamanian Couple to complete the assembly, once again and for the last time this year, of the Seis Amigos! We spent a lively forty minutes catching up with them on their balcony. They, and my Favorite Panamanian, joined me for the morning boogie boarding session today.  It was so much fun to have four of us out in the surf. Predictably my wife and her counterpart from the Panamanian Couple got into a conversation and temporarily forgot where they were. I was trying to get their attention when a particularly large wave arrived to remind them, funny stuff. Regrettably I don’t have any pictures of our boogie boarding session because, well, the aforementioned waves. We finished the boogie boarding and ended up in the pool where the conversations continued in a much safer environment. Those had to be abandoned when I pointed out that it was nearly eleven o’clock and we hadn’t had breakfast yet. They’ll be here through the weekend though, having returned to say good bye to us before we leave. Color me very touched.

Yesterday's Sunset


While I don’t have pictures of boogie boarding I did receive some of the FBR which only further whetted the appetite to return to the States to see her and her cousins. We gifted her the teddy bear pictured many years ago and she was taking it to school for some sort of show and tell. I don’t know how many more years with her where she’ll allow a photo taken of her holding a teddy bear so I want to enjoy it. In the other photo, she’s now participating in yoga sessions with her mom. As I said, the years are flowing way too fast, unabated.

Waiting for the Bus

Still Loves her Teddy Bear

Yoga Time with Mom
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment