Saturday, April 6, 2024

Mafia Reunion

As our days here in paradise are winding down, we are hosting an unexpected, at least for me, Panamanian Mafia reunion. A member of the Worcester Chapter of the Mafia relocated back to Panama a few years ago. A couple weeks ago my Favorite Panamanian linked up with her and thus was born the plan for this weekend’s reunion. Accompanied by one of the redoubtable PanaGals, she arrived yesterday in time to engage in the afternoon boogie boarding session and the sunset ceremony. I brought my wife’s iPad down to the beach for the First Friday Family Facetime call while the ladies cavorted in the nearby pool. My Favorite Panamanian deigned to emerge from the water long enough to see the assembled granddaughters.

Sunset Ceremony Yesterday
The said granddaughters are facing their own challenges back home. The New Jerseyites experienced a fairly robust earthquake yesterday; strong enough that my daughter had to grab her computer monitor to keep it from falling over. If you’d told us back in December who was more likely to experience an earthquake in 2024, my bet would have been us in earthquake prone Panama, certainly not epicentered in New Jersey. It was strong enough that my son felt it all the way up in New Hampshire. During the call, the BRS excitedly related that their dad was allowing them into his home theater that night to watch the movie Wish. The FBR heard that and the movie choice for her was also sealed. It was funny, because we took all three granddaughters to see that movie last year. It marked the first time BR3 had ever been to the movie theater. So, they once again shared the movie together, albeit a few hundred miles apart.

Beachside First Friday Call

Meanwhile the Ladies Cavort

Thwarted Sunset

Still Kind of Cute
The sunset was once again comprised by the pesky western horizon cloud bank which seems to delight in thwarting our view as rainy season descends. The sunset, however, isn’t required to enjoy the sunset ceremony as we inculcated our visitors into the social aspect of the beach gathering each night with our upstairs neighbors. This was followed by a two-car convoy to the village for our Friday pizza session. Sunset Pizza (honestly, that’s the place’s name) was up to its usual hijinks, providing pizzas made from dough sourced directly from Italy, that’s the claim at least. Chow Mein the cat, made his usual appearance once it was clear there was pepperoni scraps to be had.

Pizza Time
Only one more weekend, after this one, to be had at the beach this year, so I’m happy my Favorite Panamanian has some friends in to share it with. As beautiful as the beach is, the best aspect of living here is hosting visits from friends and family. I’m going to write in a future post about our departure and the attendant feelings but I’ve convinced my wife we need to enjoy the time we’ve got left instead of worrying about how short that time is growing. I should take my own advice. I was down in the beach this morning in girding loins mode before my usual morning workout when the usual solitude was shattered by the arrival of the ladies for an atypical early morning swim. I’ve been saying all along that the best time for the pool is the morning before the tropical son heats it up to sauna levels by the end of the day. They finally took me up on it.

Earlier in the week, I saw Madame Web. I’d heard really bad things about this flick but, since it was a Marvel movie, I thought I would give it a chance. Big mistake. This is undoubtedly the worst Marvel movie ever made and maybe the worst superhero film as well. I felt bad because I’ve always liked Dakota Johnson and certainly Sidney Sweeney but this was a complete mess. Despite their best efforts the stilted dialogue was a huge distraction. The plot of Johnson babysitting three potential spider women brought the forward movement to a screeching halt. I was looking for some reason to like this and failed, just like the filmmakers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment