Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Head Case

For the very first time since my return last week, I find myself yearning to be back in Panama. Why, you might ask. For the very simple reason that my dermatologist would then be thousands of miles away. Back in December I was diagnosed with two more sites, right ear and top of head, that required Mohs surgery to remove skin cancer. I believe this would be the seventh time I’ve had the procedure, so big deal. I was scheduled for two separate sessions, separated by a couple weeks. Feeling kind of froggy yesterday when I got into the surgical room, I asked if they could do both sites that day. I think it was the right decision as it shortened the recovery time from a month to two weeks.

My New Look
I’d sailed through the former procedures with hardly any pain. That was about to change. I’m guessing it was due to the location, turns out there’s a lot of nerve endings on the top of the head, who knew? I’m usually pretty good with pain but yesterday provided an acid test. Part of the procedure involves using a cauterizing iron to stop bleeding. Every time they went to use it for the site on my scalp, I could feel it and it kept getting worse. A nurse finally noticed my winces and asked me in a surprising tone if I was feeling anything. That led to more numbing medication shots which also kind of hurt. I had the same doctor as I had for the last four iterations so I had a lot of confidence in him. He was assisted by a resident in training who was also very good. It was interesting because I got to listen as they discussed what was happening. Usually, I’m just laying there while the skin gets pulled, prodded, cut and stitched. Mohs surgery involves cutting out, mapping the cancer detected, and then checking the fringe of the cut to see if they got it all. For the last three times I was lucky enough to get everything on the first cut. That changed yesterday. The ear required two cuts and the scalp (the one that really hurt) took four cuts. This thing had been growing for a while apparently. Yikes! The whole thing took about four hours as there is a lot of waiting as the latest extraction is tested.

Earlier in the Day During one of the Waiting Periods, Yecch!
The stitching up at the end was the “funfest” part of the day. They had to do a skin graft on the one inside the ear, taking skin form in front of the ear. While I couldn’t see anything, it led to some very interesting sound effects. Before they closed everything up the nurse asked if I wanted to see pictures of the excavations they had created. I made the mistake in prior sessions of saying yes to that question. Some things are best left unseen, it cuts down on subsequent nightmares. Then we got to the pesky top of the head site. That was a very big hole and the surgeon warned me I would feel a lot of pulling (I guess this qualifies as an unofficial facelift). Those damnable nerve ends came into play again which led to additional numbing shots. Fun. The nurse asked me if I had ever been a redhead. She responded to my confused look by saying red heads tend to metabolize the numbing medication faster. I guess I’m a latent red head.  I started cursing my younger self for not wearing sun block years ago when the Army sent me to all those sunny places.

FBR and Wingman

FBR's Team

Hanging with her Best Bud
My Favorite Panamanian picked me up and marveled at the extensive bandages I sported. I have to keep them dry and in place for a week, so that’ll be fun. They had to “Friar Tuck” the top of my head, shaving a large circle around the top, to get the bandage to stick so I’ll have a very punk rock kind of look when the bandages come off (Wingman will approve). It’s not as if I’ve majored in attractive hair styles during my adult life (Thank you Army once again). I was home less than fifteen minutes when I banged the top of my head reaching for something in the Man Cave. The numbing medication had definitely worn off at that point. I just passed it of as another of my frequent accidents until my Favorite Panamanian gave me a panicked look, claiming blood was seeping from the bandage. I assured her the new injury was to the side of the surgery site; she shook her head in disbelief at my ineptitude.
The final indignity was trying to fall asleep last night. I was understandably tired but I had to figure out a position for my head on the pillow that wouldn’t mess with the surgery sites. Easier said then done, especially for that cursed scalp site. Every time I though I had it set, I could feel the tug on those top of the head stiches. I eventually decamped for the guest room to continue my adjustments since I didn’t want to mess with my Favorite Panamanian’s sleep. I finally found the right arrangement around 3am. A long day. Kids, use sun block.

Bounce House Time


The Neighborhood Gang

She had a Long Day Also
I received the accompanying pictures from the FBR chronicling her weekend adventures. She’s very excited about her approaching baseball season and, as always, hanging out with her friends. She’s growing up so fast. My Favorite Panamanian and I are trying to figure out a way to schedule a trip to New Jersey in the next couple weeks. That’ll be the best possible medicine I could get for this aching head. I’ve restarted my A-Z watch, picking up where I left off in December. I’ve also acquired a stack of new movies (Amazon gift cards don’tcha know) that’ll be inserted into the lineup as well. Two fell yesterday, both keepers. The Heiress, a classic gifted by my daughter, amazing movie, Olivia de Havilland, playing against type as a spinster; and The Hunt, about as different a movie as could be but still so sneakily funny, Betty Gilpin stars as one of my favorite movie characters of all time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment