Sunday, April 14, 2024

Final Friday and More

First of all, I want to calm any anxiety you have gleaned from the title, thinking I may be abandoning my practice of celebrating the first Friday of every week. Nothing could be further from the truth, as I will explain. The title refers to the last Friday I’ll experience in Panama this year. If that is in fact the case, then I and my more than superb friends are doing it in style. The Seis Amigos were reunited on Friday as the Panamanian Couple of that redoubtable group made a special trip to the condo ahead of our departure next week. They joined me for a boogie boarding session Friday morning to kick off what has been, so far, a remarkable weekend. They had some business to conduct in David later on Friday so they missed out on the First Friday of the Week gathering (our last this year) at Sunset Pizza in Las Lajas.

Saturday Dinner with the Seis Amigos
Our Upstairs Neighbors, as is their wont, more than made up for the missing members of the “Seis”. Our favorite Panamanian cat, Chow Mein, spent the entire meal with us, scrounging everything from popcorn to pepperoni. She’s grown a lot during our stay and engaged in a lively pursuit of a gecko that had the temerity to invade her hunting area. The gecko beat a hasty retreat when Chow Mein demonstrated her improved ability to climb. The owner of Sunset came over to bid us a fond farewell since she knew this was our last Friday in Panama.

Friday Sunset with my Favorite Panamanian

The Upstairs Neighbors

Back to my Wife and I 


The Panamanian couple joined me for my morning boogie boarding session both Friday and Saturday mornings which added a great deal of fun. Even my Favorite Panamanian interrupted her morning prayers long enough to join us Saturday. She and her counterpart from the Panamanian couple made a tactical mistake by, as is their wont, getting into a deep conversation in the middle of the waves. Las Lajas took umbrage to their temerity and predictably delivered a very large wave when they were not paying attention. I saw it coming but they ignored my warnings also. It was kind of funny when the wave crashed on them but I successfully hid my grin from the spluttering pair as they emerged in the aftermath.

Friday Night at Sunset Pizza With Upstairs Neighbors

Chow Mein After the Gecko

Saturday Morning Boogie Boarding Group
The big event of the day was a picnic lunch hosted by the Panamanian Couple on the beach. They were slow cooking an impressive hunk of beef amongst other delicacies as my Favorite Panamanian and the Upstairs Neighbors also donated some favorite dishes. The Upstairs Neighbors, fresh from a visit to Peru, prepared a blender full of Pisco Sours, which they learned to make on their visit. It was a big hit amongst the group. Since my beer was flowing above its usual pace (a predictable outcome when surrounded by good friends) I took it easy on the amount of Sours consumed. I think, this morning, a couple of our group regretted not taking my course of action.

Saturday Beach Picnic

Pisco Sour Prep

Upstairs Neighbor Prepping the Sours

Pisco Sours Delivered
It was a great afternoon with these best friends in Panama. The Upstairs Neighbors had to leave early, after inflicting their Pisco Sour damage, for a promised dinner down the beach with friends. The remaining four of us continued on the beach for the rest of the day, through yet another spectacular sunset. The weather had been bad for most of the week, but it has certainly rallied for our last weekend in Panama. The humidity had been hanging above the 90 level for the past two weeks but yesterday it reverted back to dry season levels which was certainly welcome. The afternoon also marked my last Atlas beer of the year. Atlas is my chosen brand of beer during our stay but I bought some Coors Lite earlier in the week to pave the way for my return to the States. Yet another sign of our impending departure.

Two of the Seis

Female Half of the Seis

The Guys

Making a Heart (I Think/Hope)
We moved further out onto the beach to observe another Las Lajas spectacular sunset. I felt a little nostalgic, realizing this was my last Saturday sunset as our days in Panama are whittled down. I’ve been luckier than I deserve in the friends I’ve acquired over the years both here in Panama and back home. That’s an aspect of earthly wealth that cannot be underappreciated. I realize I’m blessed to be rich in this area, here and at home, which means so much more than anything financial. I’m not saying I’m averse to an economic variety of wealth, but good friends are something more tangible and immediately enjoyable that anything fiscal.

Saturday Sunset Crew

Final Saturday Sunset




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment