Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Beach Exit Moved Up

Today marks our last day on the beach and I’m going to have to make this quick since I’m getting dirty looks from my Favorite Panamanian as she flits about the condo cleaning up. Sitting at the computer while she works is never a good idea, especially when I am within eyesight. As predicted, I’m now back from helping her store some more things as she walked by me huffing and puffing carrying too large a load. She’s says she doesn’t want to bother me but I think it’s more of what she’s learned at spouse school over the years about the devious use of guilt as a weapon. Getting back to the story, we’re leaving tonight, after our last sunset here, instead of tomorrow. We heard a rumor yesterday that there would be protest closing of the InterAmerican Highway (our only way to David) tomorrow. As much as I love being in Panama, I’m ready to go home and this will offer my wife some more time with her mom tomorrow in David.

The Seis Amigos at Our Farewell Sunday Dinner
I’m truly indebted to my fantastic Panamanian friends who have endeavored to give my Favorite Panamanian and I a heartfelt send off as we head north. The Panamanian couple of the Seis Amigos came up from Panama City to spend the weekend with us which was way too much fun. We ended their visit with a Sunday night dinner at the Las Lajas Beach Resort since my wife has declared our condo kitchen off limits due to cleaning requirements (it’s a very comprehensive effort). The rest of the condo community provided an unintentional gift as well Sunday with a lively beach Zumba session and a half dozen well equipped thongs from visiting ladies cavorting in the surf. Okay, that was mostly for me.

Beach Zumba

Sunday Sunset

Sunday Sunset with Upstairs Neighbors
I mentioned last week in the blog that’s what I’m going to miss most about our time here, not the thongs (but there is that), but the friends we leave behind. They’ve made a special effort to insure none of my boogie boarding sessions have been solitary. This morning was my last one of the year and the Upstairs Neighbor unexpectedly showed up to accompany me. I came back upstairs to find our dedicated handyman taking down the balcony shade curtains amidst other tasks. The condo is losing the homey feel my Favorite Panamanian has established as more and more of the decorations and furnishings she’s put in place go into storage. Okay, just back from weighing suitcases, the summonings continue, but I will finish this post!

Back at Resort Monday Night with New Friends
Last night out new friends from down the beach, the Canadian and his Panamanian wife, invited us out to dinner, back to the home of the best Panamanian cheeseburger, the Las Lajas Beach Resort. As I’ve said many times, we’re blessed with the friends we acquired down here and this couple tops the list for this year. The Panamanian ladies have bonded over the shared travails of being married to gringos. The Canadian and I have also really hit it off and he has a ready supply of beer on hand, so win. In reality they’re just great people and makes the time on our sometimes solitary beach home even more enjoyable. We’re going to miss all of them, but, as with the mostly departed pelicans, it’s time to head north.

This Morning, Heading Out to Last Boogie Boarding Session
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment