Tuesday, September 20, 2022

One Day More

After one of these weekends where I have inordinately more fun than it is probably legal, I am left, in the immortal words of Jean Valjean, wishing for one more day (or six or seventy). That heretofore ignored prayer was answered this past weekend when my Favorite Son and his family stayed with us through Monday after the Saturday night festivities. The FBR was a little put out when she had to leave with her mom Sunday morning knowing the BRS and BR3 got to stay. They crammed a lot of fun into the small number of hours they were together, including their usual very short night (when they were supposed to be sleeping).

Front Porch Posing Sunday Morn
I treasured the additional time I had with my son, especially since we got to watch an afternoon of football together and bemoan the failure of his fantasy football team. The extreme upside was the Patriots game where they beat the Steelers. After my exposure to condescending and rude Steeler fans during our last visit to the Pittsburgh College Roommate’s home, I count any win over that bunch as more satisfying, just imagining the whining emanating from the three rivers.

Disguised with my Czech Shadow at the Party

Hojaldra Prep Session

Followed by the Consumption Phase

BRS Helping her Great Grandmother Open a Present

Following the Money
My son left for work Monday morning but the ABFA remained with us to work from home while the BRS and BR3 were left in their grandparents’ care. I discovered my morning ab workout had additional productivity since at times I had to lift one or both granddaughters. I guess they saw me down at their level and I was therefore free game. I was also vigilant in the groin protection arena as they seem to appear form nowhere to launch themselves at me. I had to sneak out for a while to deliver the Virginia Musquetera to her plane (she remembered her suitcase this time).

The Morning Ab Workout


I returned to find Abuela Camp in full swing. The granddaughters had finished painting some more garden rocks in the garage. A lively game of hide and seek followed. The odds were not in my favor as they could crawl under things to hide. These games were not without their physical challenges as my Favorite Panamanian took a tumble down the last few stairs leading to the Man Cave while trying to hide. We then engaged in some serious chalk painting which even now graces our garage floor, serving as a poignant reminder of their presence. We already had stickers on just about every stick of furniture but this was a new touch. We finished the afternoon with a lively game of hopscotch. It turns out this can be fairly challenging for senior citizens, especially when it comes to bending over the pick up the rock. The BRS became an acclaimed expert while BR3 made up for her complete disregard for the rules with her enthusiasm. A very good day although the Man Cave will take some time to recover from the indignities it suffered over the weekend and return to its natural state. For some reason the granddaughters decided to rearrange my movie collection which I wouldn't have noticed without the A-Z effort. Sneaky. 

Rock Painting


BRS Chalk Self Portrait

Grandpa Tries the Hopping

This Used to be So Much Easier

BRS Dominated



Abuela Also Gave it a Shot


Enthusiastic BR3 Run


Man Cave Indignities
One movie fell in my A-Z effort, a keeper, Be Cool (maybe my favorite Travolta character, Chili Palmer, along with a gay Rock).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment