Monday, September 26, 2022

Down Time

I have definitely been in recovery mode since Friday which marked the high school class mini-reunion at Keene Friend’s house. This was also the last in a series of events that, while intensely fun, also drained a certain amount of energy reserves, mostly in the prep phases. I actually slept until after 8am on both Saturday and Sunday, something I didn’t think I was capable of. My Favorite Panamanian had a much tougher row to hoe though. This morning she had that delightful medical procedure that we all face after we turn fifty and every ten years afterwards. The worst part of said procedure is the day before which calls for a liquid diet and some powerful laxatives. Not, by any stretch of the imagination, fun.

Curbside Assemble!
I tried to be supportive and even got up with her at 3:45am to start the final round of prep. I’m not sure if moral support is even welcome at this point but there we were. I dropped her off at a surgical center directly across the street from where I used to work (which is now a mini-mall). I ran by this place daily (when I could still run – damnable knee) but this was the first time ever inside. I was sent on my way by an officious nurse who pointed out the door I was expected to retrieve my Favorite Panamanian at afterwards. She came through with flying colors which, as we get older, is not as expected as it used to be. I blame my experiences over the past few years for that.

Wingman and FBR on Their Way to ---

Legoland!!!!


She’s upstairs resting comfortably now and the heavy medication from the procedure allowed her the perfect excuse of making her annual mistake of thinking today was our daughter’s birthday. Our son was born on the 26th of a month while our daughter is the 28th and my wife annually makes this mistake, despite a sign posted in our kitchen with the correct birthdays. Before I get all sanctimonious here, I made the same mistake yesterday when talking with my daughter. She helpfully directed me to look at the aforementioned sign. Speaking of signs, I may be getting old.




While I was vegetating over the weekend in the Man Cave, trying to watch every football game available, my daughter and the FBR were very busy. My daughter had a well-deserved, ladies’ weekend with the incomparable Curbside Gals. These denizens of early 2000s Brooklyn reunited for a weekend getaway which my daughter confirmed was everything she had hoped it would be. I’m glad she’s experiencing the same thing I do with the gathering of old friends. It goes way beyond medicinal.






Meanwhile, back at the New Jersey ranch, Wingman and the FBR snuck away for a visit to LEGOLAND in New York. From the accompanying photos, the FBR had a very good time. She must have been impressed because she actually deigned to talk with me on our FaceTime call last evening instead of her usual sullen stare at the screen. She also excitedly showed me her Darth Vader costume for Halloween. I think I can state, without concern for contradiction, that Wingman and I have successfully passed on our love of Star Wars to her.









I was wondering why I felt so tired during this morning’s swim and then remembered I had been up since the wee hours in the morale support role. It didn’t help that a comely young lady (and strong swimmer) asked to share my lane so I was forced to exert myself more than I wanted to out of stupid male pride which I guess is something we don’t outgrow. Not so far, at least.

Game Face!

Wielding her Light Saber Back Home
Three movies fell in my A-Z effort, all keepers, Ben Hur (favorite movie of my youth, I can point to seeing this in the 60’s and falling in love with movies, guess this sent me down the road I’m still on, remains a fabulous watch), Beowulf (would have been better without such a sketchy Grendel), and Beverley Hill Cop (when Eddie still cared and oozed charisma).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment