Thursday, September 22, 2022

A Large E-scape

I pulled a surprise on my two resident Panamanians yesterday. It was supposed to be the only really good day, weather-wise, of the week and my mother-in-law hadn’t been out of the house except for a hairdresser appointment for over a week. I loaded them in the car in the afternoon and told them we were going out for a drive. Note to self – when planning these surprises, counsel wife on footwear.  I heard them talking with the Neighborhood Mafioso about a big fair in Springfield. After some internet sleuthing, I learned they were talking about the Big E. I think I’d heard about this fair at some point but had never been.

Beaded Panamanians
This is where the footwear decision was important since this would involve a lot of walking. I was eventually forgiven after revealing the destination. I thought since this was a weekday afternoon that the crowds wouldn’t be a big deal. If this is the case, I do not want to venture near this place when it is busy. It was a much bigger deal than I expected. We entered the parking lot to be greeted by a veritable sea of cars. I was directed to park about six hundred meters away from the entrance but after asking I was granted permission to drop my mother-in-law off at the entrance. As I was dutifully making my way back to where I was supposed to park, I noticed an open spot 50 meters form the entrance. Score.

Really? Oreos Needed This?

Lunch Time

Then Shopping

And More Shopping

Intrepid Walkers
I was a little nervous about my 90-year-old mother-in-law negotiating the walk involved but she wore better shoes than my Favorite Panamanian. I was duly impressed when my mother-in-law handled the long walks flawlessly; of course, shopping was involved so it wasn’t exactly the Bataan Death March. I acted as the recon element moving ahead and directing them towards what I thought would be the most fertile shopping stalls. I was impressed with the organization and the sheer size of the event. I was surprised I’d never been, especially since my Favorite Cousin lives just down the road from it.

And More Walking

Parade Time



Knockoff Clydesdale Team


We stayed around for the daily parade which involved some throwing of beads. Unlike New Orleans my female companions didn’t have to reveal any anatomy to score their beads. Western civilization is therefore safe. It was a great place to people watch with some very interesting specimens amongst the crowd and the vendors. We left just as it was getting dark and were home less than an hour later. Not a bad day at all and I emerged as a hero to my Favorite Panamanian, well, everything except the shoes.

Some More Monday Photos
BRS & BR3 Tackling Me

You're Not Going Anywhere Grandpa

BRS & BR3 in Ballet Class
BR3 Decides to Stand While Class Sits

Tentative BR3

BRS - Not So Much
On Tuesday I snuck out for dateless movie, See How They Run. I went to this movie based on the presence of Sam Rockwell, one of my favorite actors. Somehow, they thought having him play his part completely straight was a smart move. Not so much. The first time I could ever describe one of his movie characters as boring. He plays a semi-British police detective in an Agatha Christie themed (literally) murder mystery in 1950s London. All the best lines went to Saoirse Ronan who is hilarious as his overly energetic rookie partner. The movie was technically well done and well-acted but it really lacked life, as if it was trying to be a little too cute. Overall, a disappointment. How do you waste someone like Rockwell?!

Two movies fell in my A-Z effort, one a keeper and the other not so much, Beerfest (Obviously why I bought it but Broken Lizard is not my cup of whatever) and Beetlejuice (still makes me laugh every time).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment