Saturday, September 24, 2022

Blessed Redundancy

I know. Here it comes. Again. I was back up in my home town hanging out with some of my high school classmates, again. It is at this point I usually begin to wax philosophic about the truly fine individuals I was blessed to graduate high school from, egad, 49 years ago. Yep. That’s what happened and I’m not apologizing because these redundant efforts to stay connected with my home town and these splendid people is one of the things that has made post-military life so much fun. Yesterday’s event germinated with the annual northern pilgrimage of the Pittsburgh College Roommate and his wife. They blew into Keene on the eve of their return home and decreed a barbecue at Keene’s Friend’s house was in order.

(l-r)Keene Friend, Me, Cantankerous & Pittsburgh C. R.

Most of the Gang
It wasn’t so much a decree as a planned event, as nearly a month ago, Keene Friend announced the plan during our last afternoon sojourn at Penuche’s Ale House. I’m glad he and I talk a lot because I was reminded a couple times. The Kindergarten Friend and the Connecticut River Boat Captain both failed to transfer that short term memory. An afternoon a Penuche’s will do that. I arrived in town yesterday and started receiving texts from the River Boat Captain asking if there was a get together. When the event started, I texted Kindergarten Friend to ask why he wasn’t there. He professed complete ignorance. Both made it to the party to add their particular spice.

Pittsburgh Out Golfing with Other Classmates

Downing Shots for Birdies
I arrived in Keene and had to drop off the chairs the Cantankerous One lent me for last week’s party. He had me deliver the potato salad he created for yesterday’s party. Both my wife and the Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife roundly questioned me why the salad was in two bowls when one would have sufficed. I replied that I was handed two bowls and didn’t bother to question the level of contents. They were both mystified and came up with a bunch of theories as to the origin of the two bowls. It must be a gal thing.

The Gathering


We arrived at Keene Friend’s house early to help set up. I should say I was jettisoned there so my Favorite Panamanian and her mom could go shopping. The Pittsburgh College Roommate was absent, out playing golf and downing shots with a couple of other classmates. I helped his wife and Keene Friend set up in the driveway and await the incoming. It was the first truly autumnal day we’ve had, which was fine as long as the sun was shining. The temperatures dipped 20 degrees when the sun went away (which it has a tendency to do late in the day) which made for a fairly brisk gathering.



The Grillmiester

It was the usual very nice collection of friends along with some who rarely show up. The Pittsburgh crew, renowned tailgaters, set up their portable barbecue and everyone brought a dish to contribute, including the mysterious two bowl potato salad. Keene Friend was in his usual peerless host mode and it could not have been more fun. Yes, I know that I say that each and every time I am fortunate enough to hang out with this crew but it still the truth . There is nothing wrong with an inevitable truth.

Keene Friend 2 with Pittsburgh C.R.


The Panamanians eventually returned as the sun set from shopping but quickly moved inside considering the temperatures. They made a couple strafing runs on the food table before setting up in Keene Friend’s living room for the duration.  I’m sure Keene Friend’s neighbors, all college kids, were more than a little amused at the assembly of gray-haired friends holding a block party but the class of ’73 plans on doing this into our 90s. That’s the plan at least. Next event, Keene birthday pub crawl on November 19, because I know a lot of short term memories from yesterday’s event may have been compromised by the cooler’s contents.

Missed Out on First Friday Facetime with These Ladies
One movie fell in my A-Z effort, a keeper, Behind Enemy Lines (jingoistic with a non-goofy Owen Wilson but great special effects).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment