Thursday, April 28, 2022

Wooing Sox & Old Haunts

The last vestiges of what I’m calling the BR3 virus was successfully vanquished on Tuesday. I kept thinking I was over it only to wake up in the morning still trying to hack up a lung. She has potent virological powers apparently. I‘m considering investing in a biohazard suit for her next visit. My Favorite Panamanian had an opinion (I know – shocking). She believes I was trying to do too much physically which tired me out and didn’t allow my body to heal. I’m thinking she might be right which is the last kind of news she needs to hear. At any rate I recovered in time for yesterday’s big event which I’d been looking forward to for a couple weeks, my first ever WooSox game.

With Great Aunt and Cantankerous at the Ballpark
It was huge news when the Triple A affiliate of my beloved Red Sox decided to move to Worcester from Rhode Island. I watched the stadium, Polar Park, take shape as I drove by its construction each day on my way to work. They opened their first season last year and I never got around to seeing a game. Soxfather and I had made a deal to see a game together but it never happened for a variety of reasons and now well, now.  The Cantankerous Friend was the driving force of getting me off my butt when he texted both Keene Friend and I about going to a game. I suggested yesterday’s afternoon game and we were off. I think Soxfather got involved at this point because in a very spooky moment, I was on the computer, about to complete the purchase of our game tickets when I received a text from Great Aunt suggesting she and I go to a game, specifically the game I was currently buying tickets for. Weird, but cool, so the ticket order went up to four.

First View of Field as we Entered

View from Our Seats
The game was supposed to start at 12:15 and having never been to the park I allowed for some extra time to get through the lines and to our seats. That wasn’t needed. We arrived at 11am and walked right up to the gate and entered the nearly deserted park as it was just opening. This allowed us some great views of the truly spectacular facility as we wandered around before game time. It is at this point I should mention it was cold. A damp spring cold that permeates most efforts to stay warm. This was accompanied by a fairly stiff breeze which allowed a diminutive visiting player to hit two towering homeruns but I’m getting ahead of myself.

The Three Amigos
We were in our seats and in talking to one of the ushers, learned that the previous night’s game had been rained out so we were in for two seven inning games for the same price. Again, I think a dearly departed brother-in-law must have been involved in this somehow. The weather and the early start kept the crowd to a minimum. Even though you were allowed to stay for the second game on the same ticket, the cold sent almost everybody home for the second game. That was kind of cool (pun intended) though, with only about a hundred people in the park you could hear everything from the umpires making calls to the ballplayers swearing when they made an out.

Rain Delay for No Rain
It had been a while since I’d been to a live baseball game and it brought with it the abundant memories of past games. I can’t go to Fenway Park anymore because the small seats have my right knee in agony by the third inning so it was a relief this new park had the extra space needed to be truly comfortable. I loved the park and the convenience of everything, from the parking close by, the concessions, although, as with any ballpark, the prices were beyond gouging level, and the excellent views of the game.

View from Left Field Berm
We shivered through the first game as the Sox rallied to win it late. The second game was held up for what they claimed was a rain delay although that turned out to be the sunniest part of the day with no rain at all. We used the hour long wait to continue our wandering. We ended up beyond left field in what they call the berm area. They had some Adirondack chairs there that allowed us to sit in the sun and wait for the unneeded tarp to be removed from the field. The Sox tanked in the second game. It was started by a former major league Red Sox reliever who’d been sent down to learn some control. Since he hit two batters and walked another one in the first inning, well let’s just say it remains a work in progress. A series of Sox hurlers were lit up as the game progressed although there was one nice inning from another major league relief pitcher rehabbing from injury. God knows they need him to get back to Boston ASAP.

Sitting in the Sun During the Rain Delay
The games sailed right long as there was a pitch clock and the batter had to stay in the box. I can’t wait for major league baseball to adopt some of these measures to speed up the game and pull it out of its death spiral. The best part of the games though was hanging with my big sister and two oldest friends. The Woo Sox have a local restaurant sponsor a take-out place in right field for each game. My sister and friends had a two game long running joke about this at my expense when they announced the restaurant for the game featured West African cuisine. I didn’t think it was that funny but they seemed to have a lot of fun with it.

Second Game Debacle
The Adirondack Chairs Are Directly Under the Big Scoreboard
We headed home after the game to thaw out and send Great Aunt on her way. She didn’t want to drive back to Rhode Island in the dark and this marked her first long distance foray since Soxfather’s departure. I’m so proud of her. Since the day was still relatively young and we could now feel our toes again, we set out for my favorite old haunt, Brew City. The atmosphere remained the same although they finally cut a space in the bar for the bartender to walk though. There was only one waitress remaining from the glorious, pre-pandemic days as this marked the first time I’d been back in two years.

Brew City Baby!!
There is no better medicine for the soul than to spend time with the important people in your life and that’s what yesterday was all about, even though there were a couple of frigid baseball games involved. Cantankerous and Keene Friend spent a lot of time trying to convince me to return to watching the NBA playoffs in which they say the Celtics are playing well. We’ll see but every time I check in I see the same old problems of ignoring rules like carrying and superstars getting calls they don’t deserve. I might just be entering my official “curmudgeon” period. At any rate, a great day and night spent with truly excellent people.

Meanwhile, Down in Panama

Wife Sent Some Photos of her Adventures

PanaGal Cleaning Grill at our Condo
Before Storing until Next Year
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment