Friday, April 22, 2022

Aged Immune Systems

I signed up, strictly due to the lack of other options, for getting old. I’m rapidly learning there are a variety of “benefits” that you don’t fully appreciate until you attain the vaunted age of senior citizen and I’m not talking about cheaper movie tickets (although that is pretty cool). The one I’m coming to understand this week is the severely reduced immune system. I guess there is a reason we were put first in line for all these Covid shots. The situation that brought this revelation home was the cold that BR3 bequeathed me this past weekend. She was only symptomatic for one day and even at the height was just coughing a lot while still engaging in serial couch jumping. I’ve been under the weather since Tuesday and am only now starting to recover. In my defense my immune system is more than sixty years older than hers and has been subjected to some fairly rigorous challenges over those six decades. I still feel like a bit of a wimp for being knocked down by a 1 year old but there it is. I’ll be back in the pool today as I finally feel better.

I was going to ambush Keene Friend and the Cantankerous One this week with an unannounced thunder run back to my hometown but canceled that so as to not infect them with my BR3 variant. Now that I think about it, maybe my Favorite Panamanian has something to do with the whole situation, to keep me on the straight and narrow and punish me for not being there to help her close up the condo. No. That’s crazy talk. Or is it?

She Looks So Innocent
It's been a busy week down in New Jersey as Wingman has created a set of garden boxes for Wingmom. It will have to be Wingmom because my daughter certainly did not inherit her mother’s green thumb. My wife always opined that my daughter’s house was where houseplants were sent to die. (I’m going to pay for that last crack). Speaking of the death penalty, I’d better stop writing and go water my wife’s houseplants. That was supposed to happen Tuesday and I don’t think she’ll accept any sickbed excuses.



In yet another startling development that may signal an impending apocalypse, Great Aunt’s two cats spent time together. I’m talking close proximity. You have to understand what an earth-shattering development this is, since they should be named Jekyll and Hide. The black cat follows in a long line of Great Aunt’s (she forgives a lot) “cats from hell”. People who enter her house are routinely warned not to approach it. The FBR has some scars to prove she didn’t listen well at Thanksgiving. This cat’s disdain extends to the other cat, who could not be nicer. My big sister was so stunned to see the good and bad cats tolerating each other that she texted this photo to the family. Watch the skies for large meteors.

Scary, Indeed!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment