Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Cantankerous Misdirection

I have just returned from a mini-thunder run back to my home town. I used yesterday’s post as part of a disinformation campaign to preserve the surprise for the Cantankerous Friend. He didn’t know I was coming up to help celebrate his birthday. Keene Friend and I conspired to have me show up at the Lab ‘N Lager ahead of him. He walked in with his bicycling buddy, another high school classmate, and was suitably flabbergasted. The four of us sat down for an extended session of beer and food. The bicycling buddy, a gal, lent the appropriate amount of elegance which the three guys were certainly not up to providing.

The Three Amigos at the Lab 'N Lager
The Pittsburgh College Roommate also tried to steal a march by calling in at the start of the evening figuring it would prevent one of our signature late night, slightly inebriated calls to him. He was also surprised at my presence as he was also deluded by yesterday’s post. It was a very fun late afternoon and evening that reinforced my appreciation of yoga pants due mainly to the college students present. We declared victory after a couple hours and retired to Kene Friend’s house for continued libations and sports programming. A very good day and it made me realize how lonely I’ve been over the past week since arriving back in Worcester.

Home was Re-Configured Prior to Thunder Run

After Cantankerous departed for the night Keene Friend inveigled me to watch one of the 4-star movies he’s been endeavoring to watch. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie was a 1970’s foreign film that was incredibly funny. It played like a Monty Python film trying to be serious. Too funny, so a Keene thunder run culminated with the watching of a French art film. We are getting old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment