Friday, April 8, 2022

Returned to Sender

I‘m officially nominating Wingman for hero status. Last night he made his way through a blinding rainstorm in the wee hours of the morning to pick up his father-in-law from JFK Airport. I, meanwhile, was circling Norfolk, Virginia at 34,000 feet while we waited for backup induced by the aforementioned rain allowed us entry. It was a very long day for both of us. I awoke in my mother in law’s house in David. We finally left the beach the day before because I needed to get a Covid test to re-enter the USA and they simply don’t do those on deserted beaches, at least in Panama. We were forty minutes into our trip to David when I heard one of my wife’s signature gasps which told me she had forgotten something. I have a lot of experience in that situation

With my Wakeup Buddy This Morning
I’m usually really unsympathetic and refuse to turn around for anything short of lifesaving medicine. This however turned out to be a truly critical item – her makeup kit. I didn’t even argue because I knew we would not do anything in David without that essential piece of equipment. The caretaker had wished me well as I told him I was leaving, for the year, and was suitably surprised to see me re-enter the condo complex. I simply nodded towards the Favorite Panamanian as she rushed pell-mell upstairs and he nodded in silent understanding.

Heading Home with New Haircut

No Longer the Long Haired Beach Bum

My Beach
We eventually reached David after a two hour trip but in truth I didn’t mind because it gave me another opportunity to bid farewell to the beach. I know that sounds weird, okay, really weird, but I became really attached to my now vacant, for rest of 2022, beach chair. In truth it was more the gentle breeze, astounding views, and occasional bikini, but there it is. After we arrived in David, I had the nasal cavity plumbed once again and an hour later received the negative results that allow me to re-enter my homeland. We stopped by to bid farewell to the PanaGal and hit up the movie theater one more time (see below). We returned home late to find my brother-in-law and his wife waiting to see us off. So, one additional Atlas was sacrificed to that effort. I was touched that they made the effort.

My Abandoned Beach Chair

Storms Blowing in on Our Last Night
Now, back to the very long day. I took off from David at 9:30am and was in the Panama City Terminal by 1030am. My flight to the US didn’t take off until 6:30pm so I had a substantial amount of time to waste. I spent a lot of that exploring the terminal and realized how much my Favorite Panamanian would have enjoyed this interlude with the ample shopping opportunities. I wasn’t that impressed so I spent most of the day with old friend Travis McGee, knocking off a book and a half. I was lucky enough to get an upgrade to First Class for the flight, which made all the difference.

Ready for the Game

We were actually going to land in NYC thirty minutes early until the captain made the announcement we would spend some time lingering over the Virginia tidewater. We landed just short of 1am this morning. By the time I was through customs and the airlines finally decided to relinquish my baggage it was nearly 2. That meant an arrival back in the New Jersey home of Wingman and my daughter at 3am. I went to bed right away because I knew the FBR was aware of my overnight arrival and I had promised her she could wake me up. She did, right at 7, so not a lot of sleep but more than worth the sacrifice to hang with my eldest granddaughter.

Wingman and FBR Headed to Yankee Stadium
We spent the morning on the couch so she could catch me up on her latest Disney fascinations. She’s not usually allowed so much television but my daughter took pity on my early morning arrival to provide a more sedate than usual morning. She was held out of school because she is attending the season opener for the Red Sox today at Yankee Stadium and she couldn’t be more excited. The family-wide effort to groom a Red Sox fan in the heart of the evil empire seems to be taking root. Wingman related that when they were talking about going to the game the FBR asked him to pretend to be Soxfather because she knew how much he loved the Sox. Heart strings not merely tugged but full on yanked.

I was excited to see Morbius but I shouldn’t have been. This was Marvel Lite with a great concept, an interesting cast, and a terrible plot. A crippled doctor seeks a cure and accidently turned himself into a vampire. Enter the rich but flawed friend to take advantage of the situation while our bloodthirsty hero tries to avoid killing more people and simultaneously wooing his lady love. The first half of the movie really caught me but it sputtered and utterly failed in the last half. I felt it was one of those movies that could have been really special but somewhere or someone lost their way at a critical point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment