Sunday, April 24, 2022

Ibuprofen Save

As I wrote about in my last post, I had a fairly sedentary week thanks to combat involving yet another BR3 donated cold. On Friday I was finally feeling better and yesterday I decided I need to make up for lost time. That may have been a mistake. One of the things I love about New England is the first warm, sunny weekend day people just explode out of their houses to begin the cleanup from winter. While I am little better tanned than some of my compatriots, that’s where I was yesterday. I don’t mean to brag (okay, maybe just a little) but yesterday I set up Deckzilla furniture, including the sun shade, mowed the lawn, cleaned out the garage, set up the grill, and added a layer of stones to one of my wife’s vast garden complexes. That last one was the kicker. A certifiable swarm of those emerging New Englanders also chose to be at Home Depot. That meant I had to park in the back forty which wouldn’t be a problem normally except for times when I’m pushing/pulling a push cart dolly loaded with thirty large wall stones and ten bags of top soil. Like yesterday. Oh, and just to make sure I got an adequate workout I had to drag it up a slight hill that I wouldn’t even have noticed except for, well, the five hundred pounds of product involved.

Side Garden
The stones were headed to the side garden facility of my wife’s vast complex. She’s always complained that it was located on a hill and wanted me to fix it. I added a retaining wall but there was still an incline so I had to add another level. After my Home Depot parking lot experience, I parked the car on the street closest to the garden to reduce the distance of moving them to the work site. I developed a technique to drop the soil bags out of the wheelbarrow without stopping. That happened by accident when I hit a rut but since it landed where I wanted it to, I kept doing it for the remainder. I was proud of the outcome and sent a photo to surprise my wife with the accomplishment. Her first comment was that I needed to add more dirt. That brought me back to earth (get it?) but she did eventually thank me.

Deckzilla Restored
The biggest adventure I had was the Deckzilla sunshade. We stored it for the winter because, well, snow. I knew if I stored the connecting hardware in the garage I would forget where that was when I needed them in the spring. I left them connected to the mounting brackets which are screwed into Deckzilla. I discovered the major problem with that decision when it came time to mount the sunscreen. Over the winter the nearly constant hilltop winds had unscrewed the brackets into its component three pieces which had fallen to the ground. I desperately looked through the winter accumulated debris and found three of the four missing pieces. I was nervous because one of the hooks was missing and I had just mowed the grass in the likely landing spot. I had visions of having to dig through the pile of grass clippings when I spotted the missing hook, unlikely caught around a clump of grass which kept it away from the mower. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than smart. Thank God. This all consumed about five hours and while I felt a certain sense of accomplishment, I knew I was pretty beat. I then made my biggest mistake of the day. I sat down. For thirty minutes. Feeling refreshed after this short break I went to stand up. Big mistake. My body decided to point out it was sixty-six years old and hadn’t appreciated the day’s efforts. Everything hurt as I shambled over to the drug drawer and fished out some ibuprofen. Therein lies the save mentioned in the title.

Front Yard, Tree is Starting to Bloom
There are a couple things left in the house to do that requires two people. It brought home to me as the least of the hundreds of reasons I feel so lonely. I’ve been basically by myself since I left the ABFA’s parents house last Sunday. While these solitary times are good in small doses I’ve come to discover that humans are basically social animals. The gaping hole in my social status is the absence of my Favorite Panamanian. In our previous winter long separations I always had a job to assuage the loneliness and need for social interaction.  There’s only so much movies, sports, and jigsaw puzzles can do. I get her back in a little over week and I can’t wait. I guess I’m pretty married.

Latest Puzzle
Speaking of jigsaw puzzles I completed my latest effort yesterday. I know there are friends who will say this should have been a bunny considering the motivation involved. It was a lot of fun and discovered there were six bottles depicted that I had never tried. My son and Wingman will be surprised by that statement as they are beer connoisseurs within the family while I keep to my more pedestrian Coors Lite (which was not represented in this puzzle – a grave error). It turns out I have tried a lot of different beers, all but six. I attribute this to a penurious youth where I would drink whatever beer was presented. Come to think of it, that hasn’t really changed. It’s just that I can buy my own. I also achieved something of legendary status in my War College Class when I participated in a worldwide tour of beers the pub sponsored, no less than five times. Hey, I got a t-shirt and a hat out of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment