Friday, September 20, 2019

Surprise Room and Memories

Never Forget

I received a text from Wingman yesterday in which he displayed some photos of a completely renovated basement at their home. The last I heard this project was in the discussion phase and I had to check the calendar to see exactly how long I’d spent in Europe. My time assessments are skewed a bit after last year’s adventures with our own renovation. They expanded their basement bathroom to a full bath with the addition of a shower and pushed a wall into the laundry room. They also added a wall and a new door to effectively create a basement apartment. I was most excited about the fact they also recessed the light in the laundry room. I’ve donated several inches of skin to that damned low hanging light. Apparently Wingman made a contact through work for a very good contractor and they knocked out all the work in a little over a week.
New Shower

Window Used to be int he Laundry Room

New Wall and Door
We received an extra special kick off to our morning today. I was just sitting down for breakfast when my IPad cooked off indicating an incoming FaceTime call. It was the FBR who told her mother that she missed her grampa and abuela. Presta-dij-ado and there we were. My excited squawks when the FBR appeared on the screen summoned my Favorite Panamanian from the depths of the house so we could enjoy a quick interlude with our eldest grandchild. We get some more granddaughter time this evening as we journey north to hang with the BRS and her parents for some of the weekend.
The anniversary of 9-11 passed while I was running around the Alps. I usually publish the same blog each year recounting my own experiences that day at the Pentagon. I won’t do that this year but I can’t let the date pass without comment. It will serve as one of the defining moments of this century and those of that lived it cannot forget the lessons learned. Especially in the times we live currently as the nation seems to be pulling itself apart with hateful messages from head in the sand progressives and equally contemptable right wingers. The nation came together after 9-11 as I’d never seen. It was a fearsome thing to behold if you were one of our enemies and something the spiders sitting in the Kremlin, Tehran, and Pyongyang should consider before they continue down their respective paths. You don’t want to piss us off to the point we stop beating on each other and focus on you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment