Monday, September 23, 2019

Granite Crisscross


Okay, so it somehow became autumn today although Mother Nature apparently wasn’t informed since it’s already 80 degrees outside. We started our European acquisitions distribution tour this past weekend up in New Hampshire. Our first stop was Stratham and some time with the BRS and her parental units. We arrived to find the BRS commenting loudly about the fact she was put to bed before she could properly greet her grandparents, who’d been held up by Friday evening traffic. Of course it could have been the persistent cough she was experiencing, but since I’m writing this I’m sticking to the grandparent angle. My Favororite Panamanian volunteered to go upstairs and help. Ten minutes after listening to her abuela lullabying the BRS was fast asleep, much to surprise of the other adults in the house.
Wife and BRS Saturday Morning
My wife and I volunteered (well that was mostly my wife) to assume BRS duties when she awoke early on Saturday so my son and the ABFA could grab some extra sleep. That turned out to be a lot of fun as the BRS has evolved into quite a little entertainer. Unfortunately she was fighting the same tough little cold that had her hacking and coughing. There are very few tougher things than having to see someone so young having to suffer through something like this, especially since they cannot possibly understand and expect all the magical adults that surround them to fix it.
Grandpa Put Through his Paces

Very Happy Abuela

Trying to Figure out the Throw Stick

Very Happy with Gifts




Reading With Abuela

And Dancing

Of Course


Backyard Tomato Harvest

My wife administered dancing lessons and when the parents arose the medicinal effect of hojaldras were explored. The BRS gamely tried to ignore the cold. She picked a mountain of tomatoes in the back yard and even tried to use the throw stick for Riggins with limited success. When we distributed the gifts the BRS now understands the concept and was all in. She loved the European sourced presents as did the ABFA with the focus on Swiss chocolate. We tried to video call the FBR a couple times but that worthy was a moving target and when we finally did catch up with her the BRS grabbed the phone and muted the call beyond her grandparents’ ability to quickly resolve.

Daddy's Girl

From When She was Feeling Better 

After the all too short interlude the BRS went upstairs for her afternoon nap and we set out for the other side of the state on our next mission. We were entroute to my hometown to take Keene Friend out for dinner in celebration for his birthday which passed while we were in Europe. While we were driving across New Hampshire my wife noticed a text from an old military buddy. We’d served together in the mid-1980s and he’d gotten out to pursue a career in business. Last year we reconnected via Facebook. His message said he was in New Hampshire for a  wedding. It turned out he was in the town right next to my son’s which we’d just left. Insert small world comment here.

Dinner with Keene Friend

Keene Friend received his European cache and somehow, against, all, odds, we ended up in the Pour House at the head of the square while my wife investigated the status of the local TJ Maxx. I’ve come to really like Pour House with the demise of Scores as it offers some interesting views of Keene passing through the central town square. I liked it even more when I went to pay the tab. After two hours and several rounds of beer the tab came to $6! When I protested (honestly I did) that I thought I owed more they admitted they’d made a mistake and I was good to go. I left a hefty tip as we eased down Main Street to meet up with the spousal unit for dinner. Some of the other denizens of Keene were unavailable but we had a very enjoyable time wishing Keene Friend his just deserts.
Navalized Snow Man Depiction

Wingman Time

Completed Maze

Fashion Domination
The FBR, as mentioned above, was a moving target all weekend. She had gymnastics on Saturday which she loved. She also sent us some art work including what may be the definitive American portrayal of a snowman, complete with belly button. She amazed her parents by figuring out one of those maze puzzles without any assistance. I’m sure I could not have done that when I was three years old. He mother, my daughter, wandered into New York City to attend a book festival and a presentation featuring one of her favorite authors, Joyce Carol Oates. My daughter was a little stoked when Oates tweeted out a picture of the event with my daughter sitting in the front row. The FBR made do with Wingman in my daughter’s absence where she continued her domination of the local playground while maintaining her status as a fashion icon.
Daughter in Brown Jacket
The Patriots continued their steamroller approach to the football season. I’m wondering if they are this good or if they’ve just played three patsies to start the year. The defense certainly does look legit. I don’t watch the Emmys but I did catch the summary and was pleased to see that Fleabag and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, whom my daughter got me hooked on, won multiple awards as did the lamented heavyweight, Game of Thrones. Hopefully Martin will now get back to work and finish the damned books.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment